Circular-faced LG G Watch R to be unveiled at IFA 2014

• 28 August 2014
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7
By: MARK Wilson/ Posted on 8/28?2014

IFA 2014 kicks off in Berlin next week, and one of the devices that will be on display is the LG G Watch R. LG is looking to expand further into the wearable market with another Android Wear watch and the killer feature this time around is a round display.
The circular Plastic OLED face has be been designed to make use of the entire surface -- there is no bezel whatsoever. In terms of looks this could be what sells LG G Watch R, as it's a device that's likely to appeal to those pandering for a more traditional look to their wearable tech.
Measuring just 1.3 inches, the svelte display is far from cumbersome, overcoming another obstacle that puts some potential buyers off investing in wearable devices. Despite the fairly diminutive proportions, the watch doesn't scrimp on specs.
 It's not up there with Android handsets, but the 512MB RAM and 4GB of storage are more than acceptable. Powered by 1.2GHz Snapdragon 400 processor and driven by a 410mAh battery, the watch is capable of running for half an hour when submerged in one metre of water -- so it should survive a trip to the pool providing you stick to surface swimming.

betanews/ full read here/ http://betanews.com/2014/08/28/circular-faced-lg-g-watch-r-to-be-unveiled-at-ifa-2014/

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I've been reading about this one and am curious to see how it turns out. I've been thinking of getting a smart watch but wanted to wait until the market matured a bit.
Userlevel 7
Yes, Nic...this certainly looks like the sort of smart watch that should be being made and being so unobtrusive should appeal to the majority of the non show off public.  I too would be interested in getting a good look at this little piece of sensible tech.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello out there Webrooters!

I feel the need to obtain one of these Watches. Sounds good to me since I'm a fan for gadjets!

But I'll also wait for it and see!:D
Userlevel 7
The following article is a update on smart watches

(Spotlight will be on smartwatches at IFA)

By Mikael Ricknäs, IDG News Service  Posted on 9/1/2014

Smartwatches will be in the spotlight at the IFA trade show in Berlin, with LG Electronics, Motorola, Samsung and Sony all keen to demonstrate that their new products are what consumers want.

Samsung Electronics and LG announced their upcoming smartwatches, the Gear S and G Watch R, last week in advance of the show.
Samsung's Gear S is a 3G smartwatch that doesn't need a smartphone to function. It's powered by an unspecified dual-core 1GHz processor and has a curved 2-inch Super AMOLED screen with a 480 by 360 pixel resolution.
After using Android Wear on the Gear Live, Samsung is back to using the Tizen operating system on its latest model. Getting developers to customize apps for smartwatches will be a challenge for any company, particularly Samsung since Tizen doesn't have the fan base that Android and iOS have.
To help make up for the lack of apps, Samsung has teamed up with Nike on a running app and Nokia for maps.
The Gear S also has 4GB of integrated storage, 512MB of RAM and a 300mAh lithium-ion battery that lasts two days with typical use, according to Samsung. Pricing hasn't been announced, but the Gear S will start shipping worldwide in October.

http://images.techhive.com/images/article/2014/08/samsung-gear-s-100410716-primary.idge.png

ComputerWorld/ full article here/ http://www.computerworld.com/article/2600415/consumer-technology/spotlight-will-be-on-smartwatches-at-ifa.html