Dallas software rollout accidentally lets inmates out of jail

• 18 June 2014
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
  • Retired Webrooter
  • 6752 replies
I've heard of rough rollouts before, but this one takes the cake:
http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/DPD-Expects-Problems-With-Jail-Software-to-Continue-for-Several-Weeks-263620171.html

6 replies

Userlevel 7
I think my doctor's office must be using the same software provider...........
Userlevel 7
Nic this was a great read...............unbelievable they relied on software that was malfunctioning and these inmates got out...............what is wrong with our system????  The articles stated several weeks to fix???  They will probably let more inmates go......and "blame it on the bosa nova":D
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yeah it is pretty crazy.  You'd think they'd run the legacy system in parallel with the new one as a test first, before just switching over.
Userlevel 6
We do things different in Texas! LOL  Funny article.;)
Userlevel 7
Interesting article. Kinda funny. Thanks for sharing Nic. 🙂
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Yeah it is pretty crazy.  You'd think they'd run the legacy system in parallel with the new one as a test first, before just switching over.
@Antus67 wrote:
what is wrong with our system????
Exactly.  I don'tbelieve the QA process is in place anymore.  Companies (both tech and non-tech) are under such financial constraints and working in highly competive situations that I think they simply drop the QA/testing phase these days.  The focus now seems to be just get it out the door as quickly as possible and invoice it! :S

EDIT:  Almost forgot, Thanks Nic!