Does anyone have experience with Torrents?

• 10 July 2016
  • 4 replies

I want to download some Torrents but Web Root sends a warning every time.  Then, on Pirate Bay, they say to install a VPN for every Torrent, but the top rated free VPN site, you guessed it, Web Root sends a warning about the site.  Any suggestions?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi mailboxtruck

Welcome to the Community Forums.

I do not have any experience of torrents and the 'position' of the issue is not clear so if the issue relates to WSA presnting a block page when trying to access the download sites then you have the option to unblock & proceed to the site but only do so if you are confident that the warning is a false positive.

If the issue is occurring whilst the applications are being downloaded then may I ask as to where you downloaded the software from? And if from a 3rd psrty download site then please try again from the author's website or from their recommended download site, to make sure that PUAs (Potentially Unwanted Applications) have not been included in the downloads, and that this is what WSA is reacting to.

Hopefully the above is of some assistance but do post back witth further information if not.

Regards, Baldrick

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Also Webroot SecureAnywhere is a Security Product so it's trying to protect you from Malware and there are many Torrents that come with Malware so the reason WSA is so protective of possible bad websites which could lead to malicious software.

Download Torrents at your own risk!

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Hi.  Thanks for your response.  I understand the purpose of the software, and I wouldn't connect to the internet without this protection.  However, I find it hard to believe that every single one has some form of malware attached.  Not only the torrents themselves, but also widely used sites that are highly rated by techies who should know - PC World and other similar sites.  Pirate Bay says to set up a VPN before use, but figuring out how to do that on Windows 10 is for a computer professional or a 14-year old, neither of which I have access to.
Userlevel 7
Would you be able to provide a sample site that we could investigate to substantiate the veracity of what you say?

Regards, Baldrick