Every Windows Phone 8 phone will get Windows 10, except the ones that won’t

• 24 January 2015
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54

Microsoft is making us read between the lines.

by Peter Bright - Jan 24 2015

Windows Phone users are understandably a little nervous about the release of Windows 10 for phones later this year. Windows Phone 7 devices couldn't be upgraded to Windows Phone 8, and the fear is that history is going to repeat itself, leaving current Windows Phone 8 handsets, many of which aren't very old, stranded.
Microsoft has, of course, been asked about this. Back in November, the Lumia Twitter account announced "We plan to upgrade all Windows Phone 8 devices to Windows 10 in the future :)"
That was an encouraging sign, but one that earned a little skepticism. Company Twitter accounts, like corporate support forums, are usually staffed by people who lack the authority to set corporate policy or make official pronouncements of this kind. Indeed, those asking for a statement from Microsoft's PR team were told something a little more guarded: "It's our intention to enable a Windows 10 upgrade for Lumia Windows Phone 8 smartphones. At this early stage in the development process, and given the vast portfolio of Windows devices worldwide, we can't predict that all devices will be upgradeable, but it is our intention that the Lumia smartphone line be upgradeable to Windows 10."

Full Article

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Yes, agreed...the Windows Phone 7 > Windows Phone 8 move was badly handled (I am one of the people still on the latter version...lingering at v7.8...with nowhere to go).

And I think that was one of the things that lost them some market share...so it is very much in their interests to get it 'right' this time and offer the upgrade path.

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
It's a great news. I can't wait to get Win 10 on my lumia 520.:)