FTC: T-Mobile made hundreds of millions from unwanted SMS features

Userlevel 7
By Grant GrossJuly 1, 2014 04:57 PM ET IDG News Service - T-Mobile USA made hundreds of millions of dollars by charging customers for purported "premium" SMS subscriptions that, in many cases, they never ordered, the U.S. Federal Trade Commission says.
The FTC, in a legal complaint filed Tuesday, alleged that T-Mobile pocketed 35 percent to 40 percent of the amount charged to customers for SMS-based services such as flirting tips, horoscope information and celebrity gossip, with the services typically costing US$9.99 per month.
T-Mobile, in some cases, continued to bill customers for these services, offered by what the agency called "scammers," years after the company was alerted that the charges may have been fraudulent, the FTC said. The charges were often added to customers' bills through a fraudulent process called cramming, the FTC said. Cramming involves adding charges to bills without customers' approval.

ComputerWorld/ Full Read Here/ http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9249501/FTC_T_Mobile_made_hundreds_of_millions_from_unwanted_SMS_features

3 replies

Userlevel 7
I'd like to comment on this article which I posted a few days ago as this hits home for me. I have T-Mobile for 6 years now on a prepaid basis in all that time did'nt have a problem with them I was pleased with the reception and service. Now since this article was published I have my doubts about this company and the way they are handling their customers....... talk about fraud!!!!!!!!!!!! and greed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I'm in the process of changing that is for sure......

What I would like to know from our members what celluar phone service are you using???  How reliable is it???
And do you have any major issues with them????
Userlevel 7
@Antus67 wrote:
I'd like to comment on this article which I posted a few days ago as this hits home for me. I have T-Mobile for 6 years now on a prepaid basis in all that time did'nt have a problem with them I was pleased with the reception and service. Now since this article was published I have my doubts about this company and the way they are handling their customers....... talk about fraud!!!!!!!!!!!! and greed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I'm in the process of changing that is for sure......

What I would like to know from our members what celluar phone service are you using???  How reliable is it???
And do you have any major issues with them????
I use Boost Mobile, owned by sprint. It's reliable, but depends where you are using it. If you want to stay with prepaid, Cricket has expanded. Aio Wireless, formerly AT&T, is now Cricket. Being that your phone is T-Mobile, you shouldnt have a problem using it with Cricket as both are GSM. Sprint and Verizon are W-CDMA so you would need to buy a new phone. Verizon has prepaid and there are other prepaid companies that run on their towers. Sprint does as well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I just switched to T-Mobile from Sprint, as Sprint has almost zero LTE in Colorado.  So far so good, although I'm glad they are getting their feet held to the fire over this.  Gotta keep them honest!