Gear to Block ‘Juice Jacking’ on Your Mobile

• 18 June 2014
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
This is a new one to me, but I do not have a smart phone but I wonder if many people know about this method of getting your data.

"Ever since I learned about the threat of “juice-jacking” — the possibility that plugging your mobile device into a random power charging station using a USB cord could jeopardize the data on that device — I’ve been more mindful about bringing a proper power-outlet charging adapter on my travels. But in the few cases when I forgot or misplaced the adapter, I’ve found myself falling back on one of two devices I’ll review today that are both designed to block USB charging cords from transmitting data.

The USB Condom (top) and Juice-Jack Defender, side by side.

Juice-jacking as a threat probably first crept into the collective paranoia of gadget geeks in the summer of 2011, after I wrote a story about two researchers at the DefCon hacker convention in Vegas who’d set up a mobile charging station designed to educate the unwary to the fact that many mobile devices (particularly Apple devices) are set up to connect to a computer and immediately sync data."

Full Article

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
That is interesting - haven't heard of it.  I do always get the prompt to "trust/don't trust" this computer when plugging in to a USB port directly, so maybe going straight from the power plug is safer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
😃 I've got a mors/ Power Bank that works great for my devices.. Of course photo is backwards but couldnt find this one online....:@ But Love the article of GADJETS Jasper...:D

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello Again and as @ saids my mobile device saids the same thing as nic wrote here:

I do always get the prompt to "trust/don't trust" this computer when plugging in to a USB port directly, so maybe going straight from the power plug is safer.