Google's 2GB RAM upgrade for new Glass explorers angers early adopters

• 25 June 2014
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7
By Loek Essers | IDG News Service/ Posted on June 25, 2014 Google will soon ship an upgraded version of Google Glass with 2GB of RAM, angering early members of its Glass Explorer Program stuck with the older model.
Google Glass currently comes with 1GB of RAM, but to improve performance Google will begin shipping a new version with 2GB of RAM, it said in a post to Google Plus.
The announcement angered some existing Glass owners. Some demanded a free upgrade to the 2GB version in comments on the posting. Others said they would be willing to pay a small fee for an upgrade, while one acknowledged that if further hardware updates were planned, it wouldn't make sense for Google to upgrade all users each time. "Getting a final consumer version would be swell though," he added.

InfoWorld/ full read here/ http://www.infoworld.com/d/computer-hardware/googles-2gb-ram-upgrade-new-glass-explorers-angers-early-adopters-245027

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
They're early adopters - what do they expect?
Userlevel 7
On one hand I do understand their frustration. Google wanted people to apply for invites to beta test the product - and then when Google themselves invited them, they still had to pay over a thousand dollars for it. The least they could is give them a credit or discount to the newer model. Almost all beta programs are like that, even ones where you test without paying, so they should especially do something like that since they had to pay to test the product. Just my 2 cents.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
True, a discount on an upgrade would be a nice gesture.
Userlevel 7
They should have expected there would be an upgraded version soon. Thats the norm, But Google should offer those who took the plunge on the 1st round to upgrade either free or for a minimal amount like the difference in price between the 2. It would benefit Google to do so, its good PR to show good faith, which more than likely will increase sales.
Userlevel 7
Sounds like a bunch of whiners to me.

I understand that the early adopters got it as they wanted to have the latest and greatest tech... But at the same time, this would be just like Apple releasing a new wearable tech, a watch for instance, and then the next year hey brought out a new improved version.

Would it be expected to automatically upgrade everyone on V1.0 to get the V2.0 for free?  Of course not!

Enjoy your tech, enjoy the fact that your experiences and feedback have let to a new better version, but that is how ALL product improvements are done.