'Google VPN' in-built Hidden Service spotted in Android 5.1

• 15 March 2015
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Sunday, March 15, 2015 Wang Wei 

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-5yoqNOVaazw/VQWhF84OgdI/AAAAAAAAiN4/GtA9ni-wFqI/s728/google-vpn-connectivity-services.jpg 

Good news for all Android Lollipop-ers! Google appears to be secretly working on a Virtual Private Network (VPN) service, dubbed 'Google VPN'. The news is still not confirmed, but the folks at Pocketables discovered an interesting hidden app called "Google Connectivity Services" under "All Apps" in the app manager, while digging through settings and apps after installing the latest version, Android 5.1 Lollipop on a Nexus 6 phone.
After clicking on the created shortcut, the app greeted with a pop-up message that reads, "Google VPN: To help protect you on open Wi-Fi networks, your data will be transmitted securely through a Google VPN." Full Article 

2 replies

Its probably there for when 5.2 is released with WiFi calling so people can talk without the possibility of someone at the other table at Starbucks listening from their headphones plugged into their computer. I doubt they're starting their own VPN service that anyone can willingly use.
Hi

My synical side came out when i thought "well Google wouldn't want anyone else collecting your info, it lowers the market value" lol, but in all honesty, if it is a genuine attempt to protect users, with no accidental info collecting, then good luck :)

sort of raises the question of large corporate responsibility in reflection to users personal data, errrm ....... perhaps a discussion for a different lifetime 😃