Solved

Gremlins!

Userlevel 6
Badge +23
Help! (again!)

I've just downloaded the Freemake Video Converter so that I can make some DVD's from UTube that I can play on my TV but ever since my laptop has been playing up, crashing, freezing, not able to use upper-case characters, backspace or delete etc!  It has also downloaded their Tune-Up Facilities 2013 as well.  I'm wondering if it's clashing with Webroots Secure Anywhere Antivirus.  It's already removed 1 threat and blocked 2 websites since installing Freemake (3hours ago) much more than its done before and Dell diagnostics havn't found anything wrong but it's still going bonkers!  Any advice would be a great help!  😠
icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 5 August 2013, 03:56

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello LoopyLinda, welcome back!

Well, and no promises that I am correct, but as the Tune-Up installed itself as part of your Video Converter my own feeling is that very likely is the cause of most of the problems.  It may not be a virus, but it certainly is what is often refferred to as a PUA. (Potentially Unwanted Application).  During the install of the Video Converter you probably were given the option to opt-out of installing this piggybacker, but many users don't notice it until too late on things like this.

I would start off with uninstalling the Tune-Up, reboot, and then scan again with WSA and see how things go from there.

Let us know how that does, and maybe others more experienced than myself with Tune-Up will have additional ideas as well!
Userlevel 7
Addidtional comment based on the other thread you started on this.

If you think that this Tune-Up and WSA are causing compatibility problems, and you feel that the Tune-Up is NOT an unwanted application (Even though it piggybacked while you installed something else), you can also Submit A Trouble Ticket to have Webroot support techs take a closer look for you on this.

My own thought is while it probably SHOULD be compatible with Webroot, since the computer issues you are having began once it was installed, I am not so sure it is something desireable to have.  Also note.. that would appear to be a limited ability free trial version.  To get the full version there is a significant fee.
Userlevel 4
If it is indeed Tune Up Utilities 2013, it's completely compatible with Webroot. I've been using it since the 2008 version and have upgraded every year. Saves me aggrivation on my Wife and Son's machines. It does the work, so I don't have to 🙂 It has never done anything "bad" on any of my machines.

They are a well known reputable company (Now owned by AVG). Odd that it was bundled with another application though, so that makes me suspect it's not actually the same program.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
I've just downloaded Freemake Video Converter which has also installed a Tune-up Utilities 2013 prog.  It has around 30 different 'power tools' to it including a Browser Cleaner, Disc Cleaner, Programme De-activator, 1-Click Maintenance etc.

Would it be OK to use these or will they interact badly with the SA Antivirus (I've had loads of probs since it was installed and now I'm even more nervous!)
I would not use any tune up programs they will do more damage then anything good, it could even Brick your system and make it unusable of course they speak highly of it as it was an add-on they want you to spend the money for the full version to what possibly damage your system in the end? I know I sound harsh but I don't want you to crash your system on something that is not recommended by any in the Security Community.

Best Regards,

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
If it is indeed Tune Up Utilities 2013, it's completely compatible with Webroot. I've been using it since the 2008 version and have upgraded every year. Saves me aggrivation on my Wife and Son's machines. It does the work, so I don't have to 🙂 It has never done anything "bad" on any of my machines.

They are a well known reputable company (Now owned by AVG). Odd that it was bundled with another application though, so that makes me suspect it's not actually the same program.
Your fortunate you never had any issues all these years but still not recommended IMHO! As the registry cleaner can remove good needed Keys and make a system unusable and the need for a complete OS reinstall.

Daniel
Userlevel 4
Although I've never had a problem. It DOES help that I also have a program called Genie Timeline Pro (Feel free to Bagoogleladoogala) on all my machines, backing up to a 2TB Raid NAS.

I live in my own secure bubble with that as my disaster recovery option, and also make a monthly image of each machine on a separate NAS.

Rounding it all off, is, Webroot on all machines.

MALWARE AND OTHER NEFARIOUS NO-DO-GOODERS, I CAN ONLY SAY, COME AT ME BRO!
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Although I've never had a problem. It DOES help that I also have a program called Genie Timeline Pro on all my machines, backing up to a 2TB Raid NAS.

I live in my own secure bubble with that as my disaster recovery option, and also make a monthly image of each machine on a separate NAS.

LOL!

Nice setup there!  I would have to say that even if something DID get past your defenses no permanent damage is likely!

I am a bit of a fence sitter when it comes to the system utilities mentioned in this thread.   I do not use them.  While adverse affects may be rare, when they happen they can be really really bad, and I have seen that happen a few times.

I know others like you who use them without problem for years.  

Overall, I generally suggest to avoid them unless you are a very knowledgeable user. 
Userlevel 6
Badge +23
Thanks David,
Yeah, as I've just had my laptop in for a total healthcheck and tune-up the Tune-Up App wasn't wanted really so, as you sugested, I've uninstalled it, re-booted and re-scanned, everything seems to be back to normal again - phew!  Thanks again for the wonderful advice!  😃
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Thanks David,
Yeah, as I've just had my laptop in for a total healthcheck and tune-up the Tune-Up App wasn't wanted really so, as you sugested, I've uninstalled it, re-booted and re-scanned, everything seems to be back to normal again - phew!  Thanks again for the wonderful advice!  :D
Glad it is all happy now!!!  

Userlevel 6
Badge +23
@ wrote:
Although I've never had a problem. It DOES help that I also have a program called Genie Timeline Pro (Feel free to Bagoogleladoogala) on all my machines, backing up to a 2TB Raid NAS.

He he, great stuff Gorg!  You sound like that computer techy guy in the film Blade!

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
This is my Laptop specs.

Daniel

Userlevel 7
@ Nice laptop.:)