How to Disable Rapid Response Updates on iPhone & iPad / Update Pulled by Apple

• 15 July 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 7

by: Paul Horowitz

Apple has started issuing Rapid Security Response Updates for iOS and iPadOS. These small software updates for iPhone and iPad are intended to address known security risks and exploits, and without having to issue a full software update version for iOS, iPadOS, or MacOS.

By default, rapid security response updates will install automatically onto your iPhone or iPad. However, some users may prefer to have full control over their software update processes, and would prefer to manually install updates to their devices, whatever they may be.

If you’re interested in disabling the automatic installation of Rapid Security Response Updates for iOS and iPadOS, read along.

⇨⇨ Full Article ⇦⇦

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Worth knowing but of course in most circumstances you should not be disabling these. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

I have to agree with Russell, you should not be doing this. Unless your hacking you iOS device (and turn you are on your own), I can so no reason why you would want to disable adding security patches as soon as they are out.  Apple created this update method to add small, incremental,  quick updates to make your device more secure and prevent loss or access to your private data. If you think this is a bad idea, maybe you can move to an Android tablet to make the attack even easier. Sigh. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

This is an example where the internet plays the bad guy. For years us IT people had tech knowledge that the general public didn’t know or didn’t have access to. Now the internet just offers these sort of things which people may not understand but will follow

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

Two things: it’s from Apple on your Apple device, and iOS is rather secure anyway. And when set to default, you just get a pop up message saying you have been updated. Is mostly benign.

But if you turn it off, I believe you will have to wait for a major update if you don’t keep up with the updates .Bottom line, it puts your machine at risk.

Now I agree with you about the IT people who know and those who don’t. So I think telling those who don’t how to bypass security updates just adds to the confusion.  I guess that is unless you think of security updates like vaccines. You know better than the company full of engineers what’s best for your device.  Sigh

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

unless you think of security updates like vaccines. You know better than the company full of engineers what’s best for your device.

Ah, I hadn't thought of it that way! Good point.

There’s always those that think they know better than those who are expects in that field.

Userlevel 7

Someone can look at this either way. Keep it turned on and be a beta tester for Apple or turn it off and wait a few days before you install to see if there are any bugs in the update. One update was already pulled because of problems.

by: Paul Horowitz

Apple has pulled the rapid response updates for iOS 16.5.1, iPadOS 16.5.1, macOS Ventura 13.4.1 that were intended to fix a security issue with Safari.

The Rapid Response Updates apparently have led to a problem with Safari being unable to load many websites after the update has installed, where users may see error messages like “this web browser is no longer supported.” There is some discussion that this is due to a user agent issue, but whatever the case, not being able to access common websites from an iPhone, iPad, or Mac, is not particularly great.

⇨⇨ Full Article ⇦⇦

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

Like many companies, Apple is not infallible, but you have to admit that it happens not very often for Apple, and they are quick top respond. 

But I am surprised by your comment Pro. One wants protecting as fast as possible. So even if this caused a problem, it's better than being hit with a virus early on.  I'll gladly take the risk of an issue over the risk of  virus. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

With you there @MajorHavoc 

Im reluctant on vital kit to upgrade operating systems straight away but security patches will always go straight on.

As long as you know the risks, it is up to the owner of kit though to make the call I guess