How to Install MacOS Sonoma Beta in a Virtual Machine with UTM

• 24 July 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 7

by: Paul Horowitz

One way to test out MacOS Sonoma beta but without installing it directly on a Mac is to install the Sonoma beta into a virtual machine instead. There are several different ways to do this, but for this particular article we will show you how you can setup and install MacOS Sonoma beta in a virtual machine by using the free UTM software.

To use this particular method of running Sonoma in a VM, you’ll want an Apple Silicon Mac with at least 60GB of disk space available and 16GB RAM, and you’ll then use the Sonoma beta IPSW file provided by Apple to install Sonoma into a VM using the free UTM app. It may sound complex, but it’s actually pretty easy, as you’ll see as we walk you through the steps.

⇨⇨ Full Article ⇦⇦

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Always a good idea if you have the resources to use a vm for a new os release. Especially nowadays with such a short period between versions

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

I used to do this a lot until Parallels restricted running another MacOS (other than MacOS Server). I have not tried recently, but am going to look at UTM as well. 
This is very cool and I agree with Russel, betas are best in a VM if you have space. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

OK, tried to follow the instructions for UTM and I keep getting an error when I try and set up the VM. I downloaded the source OS image as requested and I get an error that says, “A software update is required to complete the installation. Installation requires a software update.”

But it does not say what need an update. My mac? Its up to date? The VM? Nope, I have the latest version. Not sure what is wrong, but this is not working.

Anyone able to make this work?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Have yet to have time to try this myself. Will let you know when I do

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

Thanks Russell. I updated my OS as well, and that made no difference either. I think it is a problem with the downloaded file actually. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

👍🏻 I’ll check it out when I can