How to Set the Finder Default Folder in MacOS

• 21 December 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7

by: Hamlin Rozario

Finder is the native file manager on macOS which is running pretty much all the time once you log in to your system. It allows users to organize and locate all the files that are stored on their Macs. By default, launching the Finder window shows you all the recent files, but this can be changed if necessary.

Not everyone wants to see the most recent files upon clicking the Finder icon that’s located on the Dock. People have their own preferences and some may want to open a specific folder or directory to quickly access a specific set of files. For those who need it, Apple gives the option to change the default folder that Finder opens into. This setting can be accessed from Finder preferences.

If you’re fairly new to the macOS ecosystem, you may have trouble figuring this out by yourself, but we’re here to help. In this article, we’ll show you how easy it is to set or change the Finder default folder in macOS.

⇨⇨ Full Article ⇦⇦

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I’ve always set this to ‘Desktop’ since that’s where most users dump stuff and need to get to!

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

LOL Russell. I never set this to Desktop because people dump too much stuff there! 😂

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Ha ha! Well my desktop is totally empty. Only the mounted internal hard disk icon and that’s it. I copy to desktop then put it where it should be. Nice and clean.

however, most users have the most cluttered desktops as you say

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

Agreed. I do have a few folder shortcuts to places that put things often. And as mentioned in another article, it said many things on the desktop can slow down response time as they redrawn all the time. (I have not confirmed that though.)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I a confirm that. I used to work as an Apple Technical Trainer and this was taught. Although these days graphics cards and software has come along way so possibly not so much of a factor as it used to be.