How to Setup and Use Security Keys in macOS Ventura

• 21 August 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7

With Security Keys — available in macOS Ventura — users have the choice to make use of third-party hardware security keys to enhance the protection provided by two-factor authentication. Apple says this feature is designed for users who, often due to their public profile, face concerted threats to their online accounts, such as celebrities, journalists, and members of government. 

Apple says that for users who opt in, Security Keys strengthens Apple’s two-factor authentication by requiring a hardware security key as one of the two factors. This takes our two-factor authentication even further, preventing even an advanced attacker from obtaining a user’s second factor in a phishing scam.

To set up Security keys with your account, you’ll need to have at least two security keys (you can have up to six). This a bit of an inconvenience, but it does mean that you’ll have a backup should you lose your primary key so won’t be locked out of your account. 

⇨⇨ Full Article ⇦⇦

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

Thanks for this post. I have not set up security keys on my Mac yet. I really need to consider this option.  

Although this warning gives me pause: “You're responsible for maintaining access to your security keys. If you lose all of your trusted devices and security keys, you could be locked out of your account permanently.”

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I was going to ask if anyone has setup security keys on their Mac as I haven’t yet. I wanted to hear from users that have already gone through the process first