I get a red popup message and can't see to lose it

• 24 August 2015
  • 4 replies

Yea its really annoying to, I'm surfing along then minding my own business. Now when this happens is when I'm looking at adult comics, they would be in.jpg format (ZZZ author are my favorites). I click on them to read and this popup appears that actually talks. In a loud voice a female says "warning you have a virus (or malware or something) please call  an 800 number to get assistance in removing it, don't do any online shopping till you contact the number." or words to that affect. I couldn't close the window either just kept clicking okay or cancle in an endless circle trying to get the red window to close. Which is actually how I got this webroot thing in the first place, I called the number and the guy just started selling 'this' saying the norton that I had was crap in comparison and how much better this was, so automatically I stopped listening and I'm thinking okay this is a trap to sell there product sure I'll try it whatever. Well they made there sale and I'm still getting this red message. When I get the red message I do a scan, thing says I'm clean still can't close or minimize the wiindow so I restart my computer and everythings running normal but if I try and reopen any site that contains these comics the red window comes back.

Yea yea sure 'you don't sell your product in that manner' sure whatever. You might want to have your sales people at least try not to sound as quick to push your product

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello Winchester, welcome to the Community!

What you are seeing and describing is what we on the Community refer to as a PUA. (Potentially Unwanted Application)These are very annoying at best in that they cause pop-us, redirect your browser home page, and other behavior that may slow down the computer and direct ads your way, but they are not actually doing anything bad like damaging files or stealing information. Often they are installed intentionally by you the user as browser add-ons for various tasks such as quick search tools.. but they also come with the result of added annoying pop-ups and ads. Other times they 'piggy back' with other software that you installed, or try to 'sneak' onto your system entirely.

WSA does detect and remove many PUA's, and more are being added, but WSA does not detect all of them. A simple browser add-on with PUA behavior that is easy to identify and easy to remove is not likely to be detected and removed by WSA. Those that are intentionally difficult to locate and remove are. Please see THIS LINK for more information regarding Webroot's stance on these annoying programs.

The best thing to do is to submit a Trouble Ticket and ask Webroot Support to take a look and remove these for you.  There is NO CHARGE for this for valid WSA license holder.

Also, we have had a lot of discussion regarding these recently, and I have posted an Idea for Webroot to consider asking them to increase PUA detection.  The more  users that need help removing a particular PUA the more likely and faster that PUA will be added to detection.

I hope this helps!
Yea I tried submitting a ticket once about my settings and maybe changing them. I got this message Based on our research, it appears that you have purchased a complete technical support product from a third-party provider who uses Webroot as part of their service solution (Yea right and I got a nice Tennessee property with a great ocean veiw). Please contact this provider directly for assistance, in other words they passed the buck to someone else.

Will I get a simalar message this time or will you actually do something short?
Userlevel 7
win

Please use the link I provided you to contact Webroot Support.

This Community is mostly staffed by volunteers, including me.  I am not a part of Webroot Support or a Webroot employee.  The issue you have would appear to be eaier to fix directly by support than what we can do in the confines here.

Now if your copy of Webroot was provided by a 3rd part, such as  your employer, a bank, Best Buy, your ISP, then it might be possible that said provider is responsible for the support of the software.  There are a few companies that purchase bulk licenses to provide to their customers, but in some such situations they also have agreed to provide support per the licensing agreements with Webroot.  The best way to know... Click the link and contact Support.  They will help you, or if they have to they will direct you to the responsible party.

Okay sure why not.

I just submitted my ticket under Threat - infection I'll post what happens hopefully to save someone else the trouble.