is Office 365 upgrade popup legit?

• 7 November 2016
  • 1 reply

There is an orange and white popup headed Office 365 saying:  Your upgrade to Office 2016 is ready.  Free with your Office 365 subscription.  I don't have an Office 365 subscription and am afraid to click on any options.  I cannot close it or move it.

I fell for a "Microsoft" warning before and got messed up.  Is it legit?  How can I get rid of it?

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Hi aliwalk

Welcome to the Community Forums.

I use Office 365 on a subscription and I have never seen this popup...but that does not necessarily mean that it is 'bad'. 

First question; do you use Office 365? If not then I would immediately be suspicious, and one thing that you can try in terms of trying to ascertain the anture of the popup is to HOVER your mouse pointe over any links in the popup (making sure that you DO NOT click on the link itself) and see if you can note down the URL associated with the link (usually displayed in the bottom left hand corner of the web page)...that is usually a good way of identifying whether the popup is from whom it purports to be.

If you can do that and post the details back here we can take a look and give you a view as to whether the popup is legit or not.

Hope that helps?

Regards, Baldrick