Malicious Software Detected - BOT

• 16 December 2014
  • 2 replies

Comcast sent me a message that said one or more of my devices may be infected with a bot; but my Webroot doesn't show any infection and the lock on my browser doesn't always stay on.  Why doesn't Webroot show this malicious software??

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello vahowell, welcome to the Community!

How did Comcast send that message?  Are you really quite sure that it was indeed from Comcast, as this kind of message if very often send by hackers themselves in an attempt to get you to let them 'fix' the problem, and thus really infecting your computer instead.  A VERY common scam actually.

If you have any worries, you can submit a Trouble Ticket and let Webroot Support take a closer look at your log files.  This is FREE with your valid WSA license.

If Comcast is really your internet provider, you can also call them.  Use ONLY the customer service number that appears  on your billing statement for this: do NOT use any number or email or web link that was listed in that message.  They should be able to look up your account to see if any legit message has been sent to you, but really I rather doubt it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
To add what David said but about the Padlock not showing on the Tray Icon can you check HERE and make sure all your Browsers are under Protect? If not use the Add Application Button and add the .exe of the Browser if not shown.

Example to add Firefox on a 64bit system: C:Program Files (x86)Mozilla Firefoxfirefox.exe
Example to add Firefox on a 32bit system: C:Program FilesMozilla Firefoxfirefox.exe

Thanks,

Daniel ;)