Microsoft says pirated versions of Windows will also get a free upgrade to Windows 10

• 18 March 2015
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +52
Microsoft announced earlier today that Windows 10 would be launching sometime this summer in a plethora or countries and languages. Along with that announcement, Microsoft unveiled a number of other details about the operating system too, including a bit about the upgrade process and licensing.

Full Article

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54

If you're a pirate, your license remains "non-genuine"—what does that even mean?

by Sebastian Anthony - Mar 19

http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/windows-10-tech-preview-desktop-blue-640x408.jpg Windows 10 Technical Preview, build 9926Early yesterday morning, Microsoft's Terry Myerson surprised everyone—including, I think, Microsoft PR—by announcing that everyone would get a free upgrade to Windows 10, even users with pirated/non-genuine licenses. There was then a fairly long pause while Microsoft PR prepared a response.

First, a Microsoft spokesperson confirmed with ZDNet that, "the plan to allow free upgrades for non-genuine copies of Windows applies to all markets" worldwide, not just China. Then, early this morning—more than 24 hours after the original Reuters story went live—Microsoft PR sent out another statement. Here it is in full:

Full Article
Well that is confusing !

I couldn't make up my mind if Microsoft was throwing in the towel on pirated Windows and whether this is a good thing or not, as initially I thought "at least it helps get people back on the right road." However, as there is still no explanation of the outcome from Microsoft, I am still confused lol. Perhaps a nomination for a "plain English" award is in the offing ?

(for those who may be wondering, my licence is genuine lol)