Netflix’s cheaper, ad-supported plan arrives – and it’s as bad as expected

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

By Al Griffin  last updated about 12 hours ago

The post noted that ads will be either 15 or 30 seconds in length, and will pop up both before and during streamed programs. Overall, viewers can expect to see 4 to 5 minutes of ads per hour. Similar to the service’s current Basic plan, video quality will be limited to 720p HD rather than the 4K with HDR available on the Premium tier

<<< Full Article >»

We’ve been thinking of cancelling Netflix for a while now. Not sure this option makes me more likely to keep it. If we didn’t have kids, might have already gotten rid of it.

What do you all think? Do you use Netflix. Will this make you more likely to subscribe?

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It's not so much the ads that would bother me, it would be the 720p video quality. I'll stick with my current netflix package. It's one of the few luxuries we afford ourselves in our house!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Yeah. I hear that. We have so many other services, the cost has gotten hard to justify. We have Hulu/Disney/ESPN included with our Verizon plan, but also have HBO Max and Paramount+.

I think if we were paying Hulu/Disney, we’d probably drop Netflix.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I can’t drop Netflix. We have amazon prime and Disney + also but my daughter literally had everything she wants on Netflix so if we ever had to cut down, Netflix would be the last to fall for us

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I'm a bit naughty and share different plans with family. I pay for netflix, brother pays for Disney, father pays for prime etc 😱 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

I pay for Netflix. I’m not sure I would be able to stand those ads popping up during my shows. It depends if it’s a series or a movie. I wouldn’t want ads popping up during movies. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I watched a TV series on prime (Bosch Legacy) that was part of their new free range that had ads in and to be fair it wasn't too intrusive at all. Certainly not on the level of what you get on normal/classic tv

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I pay for Netflix. I’m not sure I would be able to stand those ads popping up during my shows. It depends if it’s a series or a movie. I wouldn’t want ads popping up during movies. 

Totally agree with this. Commercials during a movie kind of defeats the purpose of the service. I don’t think I’d pay anything for that.

For TV, it’s ok. Maybe just because I grew up with them it doesn’t bother me so much.

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

I can’t stand commercials - or paying for anything. However, Pluto has some amazing 24/7 channels like 80s Price is Right and UK only antiques roadshow with fairly minimal ads 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I'm a bit naughty and share different plans with family. I pay for netflix, brother pays for Disney, father pays for prime etc 😱 

Shame on you! I don’t know anyone who does something like that… 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I watched a TV series on prime (Bosch Legacy) that was part of their new free range that had ads in and to be fair it wasn't too intrusive at all. Certainly not on the level of what you get on normal/classic tv

No. I don’t watch anything live on normal tv. Record everything so I can fast forward the huge amounts of adverts!