Security weakness found in WiFi enabled LED light bulb

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
It makes me wonder if we really need wi-fi enabled light bulbs and what are we going to have next or should I not ask.

Posted on 07 July 2014.

http://www.net-security.org/images/articles/idea2.jpg"Researchers at Context Information Security have been able to expose a security weakness in a WiFi enabled, energy efficient LED light bulb that can be controlled from a smartphone.

By gaining access to the master bulb, Context was able to control all connected light bulbs and expose user network configurations. The bulb manufacturer LIFX has since worked closely with Context to promptly patch the issue, which is now available as a firmware update.

A spokesperson, Simon Walker from LIFX says that, "Prior to the patch, no one other than Context had exposed this vulnerability, most likely due to the complexity of the equipment and reverse engineering required."

Full Article

2 replies

Userlevel 7
All this so called convenience seems to open doors for cybercriminals. We shouldnt have to weigh "Protect your home from criminals"  v.s. "Protect yourself from cyber criminals"

Userlevel 6
I also don't understand why we need those smarthome gadgets as most of them don't make life easier. For example controlling the light in my room takes me a second, controlling it via smartphone will take much longer; get smartphone our of pocket, unlock, find and open the app, authenticate and then finally control the light... 
Most features look cool on the paper but don't bring us anything. And as long as it has a Internet connection there will be a security threat and normal  consumers won't know (or care) how to secure their equipment.