The real price of Windows 10 is your privacy

• 1 August 2015
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +52
Windows 10 is more closely tied to a Microsoft account than any previous version of the OS. This allows Microsoft to assign an ID number to users that can then be used to track them across different devices, services, and apps. This in turn can be used to deliver closely targeted ads to people. Microsoft has been pushing the mobile first, cloud first philosophy for some time now, and it becomes clear with Windows 10 that the love of the cloud is as much to do with the ability it gives Microsoft to gather useful data as it is about convenience for users.

Without wanting to venture into FUD territory, if you want an idea of just how Windows 10 can be used to gather data about you, take a trip to Privacy in Settings. The number of settings listed here is really quite lengthy — and just about all of them are enabled by default. The data is almost certain to be anonymized, but the setting labelled “Send Microsoft info about how I write to help us improve typing and writing in the future” will be of particular concern to anyone using their computer to conduct sensitive work.

Full Article

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +34
Interesting article and I find the comments enlightening. This one caught my eye:

"You can still set up your Windows 10 install with a local account and avoid all of the Microsoft services."

As someone who is not going to rush into Win 10 from Win 7, I  am trying to glean all  the info I can before deciding to upgrade. It sounds as if Win 10 can be configured without a link to a MS account although it appears that there are plenty of settings that you need to tweak if you care about privacy.