The trouble with trolls (and how to beat them)

• 16 August 2014
  • 0 replies

Userlevel 7
By Mike ElganAugust 16, 2014 07:15 AM ET The trolling problem is getting serious. Here's how to remove trolls from your online life forever. Computerworld - Twitter exploded in activity in response to the news about the tragic suicide of actor and comedian Robin Williams. The vast majority of the commentary was in the form of loving tributes and remembrances of a widely beloved entertainer.
But two days later, William's daughter Zelda said this on Twitter: "I'm sorry. I should've risen above. Deleting this from my devices for a good long time, maybe forever. Time will tell. Goodbye."
Zelda Williams was driven off of Twitter by a troll or trolls using the names PimpStory and MrGoosebuster. The accounts sent her messages and pictures that are too horrible to relate here. She tweeted to her followers: "Please report@PimpStory@MrGoosebuster. I'm shaking. I can't. Please."
This event is the trolling crisis in a nutshell. A vulnerable person. A sociopath or two on social media tormenting that person without consequence, totally beyond the reach of everyone (in fact, the pain caused and the attention grabbed rewarded them). Even millions of well-wishers and supporters can't overcome the pain caused by the heartless trolling of a tiny number of people.

ComputerWorld/ full read here/ http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9250405/The_trouble_with_trolls_and_how_to_beat_them_

0 replies

Be the first to reply!