World Backup Day - is your data safe enough?

• 31 March 2015
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
by John Hawes on March 31, 2015

31 March is World Backup Day, a chance for us all to avoid being April Fools by making sure we have secure backups of all our most important data.
On last year's Backup Day, we provided a rundown of the most basic and important steps you can take to ensure your files can be retrieved in the event of a disaster.
Most physical storage media, from hard drives and USB flash drives to CDs and DVDs, are vulnerable to damage from flood, fire, or sudden impact (sometimes even simply dropping them on the floor).

Full Article

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Shouldn't there be two world backup days, just in case? 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
That Nic is a very good point but supposing both back-ups were lost, you would need a third LOL.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
@ wrote:
Shouldn't there be two world backup days, just in case? :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Backups done right can be costly to a large business.  The equipment and consumables can get quite expensive when you back up thousands of app servers, data servers, database servers, and hundreds of thousands of clients desktops.  We are talking more terabytes of data than I can fathom.  

But after one sees the loss and potential loss to your clients or  even your own company, and I am talking dollars, present and future business opportunities,  and people's jobs by not having frequent validated backups, it can really make you step back and re-evaluate.

My personal data is minuscule compared to what I have mentioned but having seen exactly that with my company I got the point.  I back up daily using the full/incremental process and validate every backup.  I can't justify off-site storage like my company but I do keep 3 copies and at least one goes in a fireproof safe.

Even a geek like me cannot stand to lose data from equipment failure, fat fingers, or bad judgement.

;)

Dave
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
DAM Dave that is one hell of a backup system you have going there. 

I dont have any sensetive data such as a business would have but I do have a lot of PC games on a virtual "seperate" drive as a extra line of defence against corruption and such which I would NOT like to re-download due to the sheer ammount of time it would take, (dam steam sales)  but I have always looked to doing a hard backup of my files and due to a recent bad experiance with a NAS storage (mostly due to the product) I havent really given it a second thought until recent weeks. 

Any ideas on what would be a good idea? I am thinking about an external hard drive but I am not too sure if that is the most elegent way to do it and since I will require about 2tb its an expensive bother if their is an easier way :D