All Chrome extensions and apps disappeared

• 28 November 2016
  • 8 replies

We use G Suite for Business and have force-installed extensions/apps and whitelisted extensions/apps for Chrome. Today, several users experienced installation of the Webroot Filtering Extension, at which time all other extensions and apps in the Chrome managed profiles disappeared and cannot be reinstalled. In other Chrome profiles on the same computers, the Webroot extension was added without impacting existing Chrome extensions and apps.

We have tried updating the Webroot policy to disable the extension; however, even after uninstalling and resinstalling the Chrome managed profiles and restarting the computers, the previously-required/allowed extensions cannot be installed. The Chrome store error message is "Ooops. [Extension] is blocked by the administrator." I am the administrator, and I have checked that the extension is not blocked and is whitelisted. How can I fix this?

Edited to add: our product is Webroot SecureAnywhere.

8 replies

I got an installation of the Webroot Filtering Extension on my chrome browser. It was failed when I pressed install button. I missed noting the reason.
I'm using Webroot SecureAnywhere for Mac and uses G Suit, but don't have any settings for the extension.
Something wrong should happen.
Userlevel 5
Badge +19
Does GSuite define, block or restrict what extensions are/can be installed?
I spoke with Webroot support with this on Monday when we noticed the same thing.

All of the extensions that we pushed out to our G Suite users via chrome management were removed while all personally added extensions remained.  It appears that to enterprise users, they recently rolled out the WebRoot reputation extension which had been used with personal customers for a few months.  It sounds like it wasn't properly tested in scenarios that involve deployed extensions.

I have an open google support case as well to try and find out how to get back these extensions since removing and readding them to the policy did not seem to work.
you can define specific extensions to be blocked in chrome while they are signed into chrome with their company account as well as block all extensions save those that you whitelist.
Userlevel 6
Badge +26
This has been reported to support and development, who are working on understanding the issue further and working on resolution. Please start a support ticket so the tech can track the number of users effected and get a resolution sent via that process.

We are experiencing this as well for a client.
We will coordinate with partner support.
Have you heard anything back from Google on the Support Case?
I just got off the phone with Google Apps / G Suite support staff and we were able to determine that it is definitely an issue within Webroot.  I was told I was not the only one that was having this issue.  Within Chrome://policy the policies that have "Platform" as the Source are being driven either by software externally or Active Directory.  

Any devices we have that are logged in to G Suite accounts that are not part of acvite directory and concurrently not under Webroot SecureAnywhere (i.e. office chromebooks) are not being effected by this issue.