Exclaimer Signature Manager software and Webroot

• 19 November 2015
  • 3 replies

Good morning -

We have an issue with Webroot and Exclaimer Signature Manager software. We use this software to manage email signatures and throughout the day, users will report that their signature just disappeared (no signature appears when composing a new email or replying to an email) and then after a non specific amount of time the sig will reappear or sometimes the user can log off and log back on to get the signature back, but this is extremely inconvenient. This happens at random times to random users throughout the day, there is no pattern either concerning the user(s) affected (with the exception of 1), the time of the day it disappears, the time it takes to reappear or the amount of times this happens per day. When I remove Webroot from the machine the issue disappears (tested over a 3 day period to a known user who is affected everyday and the signature never disappeared over those 3 days). I've added an exclusion to Webroot to avoid scanning the following folder and subfolders but the issue is still occurring; %appdata%/Microsoft/Signatures. I've already spoken to Exclaimer support and Webroot support says they don't see anything unusual in the logs from the tool they had me run and that to further troubleshoot I'd need to figure out how to make it reproducible so they could connect to a users machine. This is ridiculous since I've said many times that it happens randomly. So at this point I'm stuck, Exclaimer says it's a Webroot issue (which I've confirmed) and Webroot won't help until I can reproduce a random issue on demand.  I hope someone here can help or I've no choice but to go back to Kaspersky.

Thanks,
SM

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Sorry you're having to deal with this issue. I looked up your ticket and talked to the support agent and the support manager about if there's anything else we can try. They're going to follow up with you with some other troubleshooting steps to try.
Thank you, I've received the troubleshooting steps and will try them.  I appreciate you pushing this, it's extremely frustrating to hear someone say "well we cant do anything about it until you can reproduce an intermittent issue" knowing there's no way I CAN do that so I appreciate you understanding this.

Thanks again!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
You're welcome - I know how frustrating intermittent issues can be. Our best guess is that either the realtime shield or the ID shield is scanning the file where the signature is stored at the same time as the software is trying to pull the signature from it. So we essentially have a race condition which is why it is intermittent. That's why they're having you try turning them off separately to narrow it down.