Web Threat Shield Not Working

• 11 September 2014
  • 6 replies

I'm evaluating Webroot SecureAnywhere Business Endpoint Protection for my organization and cannot see any evidence of the Web Threat Shield providing checkmarks or x's next to Google search results.

I'm using Chrome 37.0.2062.103 m and IE 11.0.9600.17280 (tried 32 and 64 bit)
Webroot version - 8.0.4.123
OS - Windows 7 Professional SP1

I deployed the MSI via group policy software installation as well as running the MSI manually.

I have of course rebooted after installing, and all Webroot clients are using the default policy so the Web Threat Shield should be enabled by default.

I've also checked http://www.amtso.org/feature-settings-check-phishing-page.html and it is blocked in IE but not Chrome.

Our organization primarily uses Chrome.  Can anyone comment on why some of these features are not working or only working in IE?  Thank you kindly!

6 replies

I spoke to their tech support on the phone and they reported that the entire Web Thread / Shield was being reworked with no ETA.  He explained that as the reason for the evaluation of search results not being present.

Apparently it is being released in the consumer version but not yet or slowly to the business versions.

This is also apparently why Webroot did not block the phishing page in Chrome.

Kudos to a company who can admit that something is broken and/or they're working on it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yeah, I got the same info when I looked into it.  We acquired Brightcloud and integrated that technology into the consumer version, but doing the same on the business side is still in the works.  The old web shield technology is there, but as you saw it isn't as effective as the newer version.
I have sites being blocked on a Windows 8 computer but not on any Windows 7 computers.

When evaluating the product a couple of weeks ago on a test Windows 7 computer, it was working, but not anymore. So I take it due to be a work in progress this could be why it's no longer working on Windows 7?

Also on the Windows 8 computer there is no icon next to search results.

Both computers fully patched with MS updates.

Edit: Actually just checked, it's only working with IE11 on Windows 8, not Chrome.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Would you like me to have support contact you to troubleshoot further, Shane?
Thanks Nic, already have.

Spent some time with James yesterday who confirmed the problem, and also experienced the same problems on his computer in Internet Explorer but not in Google Chrome. On my Windows 8 machine it was working in Internet Explorer but not Chrome.

Seems to be intermittent and random. James has escalated internally.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Ok cool - I'm sure he's sent it to the escalation team for evaluation at this point.