Solved

Webroot impact on performance Windows 2019 vs 2012 R2

• 15 June 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

We have used webroot for many years, without any major hickups. We have a farm of servers running web applications based on Microsoft.net, so nothing particularly fancy but some features in the system are a bit I/O intensive. They are hosted on GCP and AWS, so vms basically.

Now when we have (finally) done “in place” upgrades from 2012 R2 to 2019, we notice that everything went to a halt, basically losing about half the performance on average. First I thought, 2019 is a bloat, maybe we need to do clean installs instead of in place upgrades. But no, this doesn’t help. Then I saw that Defender was active next to webroot. This was a bit alarming, and after disabling Defender, we notice an improvement. But still, if we also disable Webroot we gain another 30% in performance and it’s only then it is comparable to 2012 R2 performance.

I’ve tried adding exclusions and it does help a bit (but only if I untick “detect if malicious”) but is that really the only way to go?

Anyone has had similar issues and found a solution?

thanks

Johan

icon

Best answer by TripleHelix 15 June 2023, 18:32

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @iitjojo 

I assume you are a Business user so please contact Webroot Business support and they will help you sort it out as it could be a simple thing like getting some files whitelisted in the Webroot Cloud Database.

All business protection products

Mon - Fri 7 AM to 5:30 PM (MDT)

Open a support ticket

Tel: 1-866-254-8400

Note: When submitting a Support Ticket, Please wait for a response from Support. Putting in another Support Ticket on this problem before Support responses will put your first Support Ticket at the end of the queue.

Thanks,

Userlevel 7
Badge +33

Hi @iitjojo 

We use Webroot almost exclusively in our environments, whether or not they are virtual or bare metal. There are specific policy adjustments that can definitely be made to improve performance in VM’s and also customize based on if you are running databases etc… 

As @TripleHelix suggested, it’s best to have support take a look and even review the policies you use in your environments to get some guidance on the adjustments needed. 

Hope this helps

Cheers
John

Userlevel 1

Thanks both, I will reach out to business support then.

I can’t imagine it needs to be like this.

thanks

Johan