Solved

webroot "permanently erase" vs windows "delete" in removing McAfee?

Userlevel 4
Discovered McAfee is still on my pc when they billed me for another year :@  Called them and got that issue resolved but after searching internet and some posts in this forum, regarding McAfee, I find it seems to be all over the place in my pc.  When I clicked on McAfee folders a drop-down menu offered some different choices,amoung them : "scan with webroot" (which I did & no threats were found), "Webroot permanently erase" and another option "Delete" (which I assume is Windows).  In my pc I do not have anything McAfee listed in my uninstall program section, yet I seem to be finding McA. folders all over the place. When I have clicked on "delete"  Windows File Operation requests my permission to make changes to my computer (I assume that deleting the files are the changes), sometimes when I click delete I get a "recycling window" . I also found a software removal tool (from Google, but I don't really have any idea what it would do or what it is for)  I even found a McAfee uninstallation folder, but  the McAfee requested permission to make changes to my computer, I really am not liking that idea. Would the "Webroot permantly erase" option take care of this?  Everything of course, wants my permission but before I give it I want to be as sure as possible that I am making the smartest move possible.  Again I am in your debt, Thank You
icon

Best answer by D_J 13 March 2015, 15:58

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +52
Hello

How to Remove McAfee
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331

Using Secure Erase
The default setting is Normal erase, which deletes the files without overwriting them. Move the slider to the right to select either Medium or Maximum erase, which overwrites the data with three (medium) or seven (maximum) passes. Note that these settings may have a significant impact on the amount of time it takes to run a system optimization.
More info:
http://www.webroot.com/En_US/SecureAnywhere/PC/WSA_PC_Help.htm#C9_SystemOptimizer/CH9g_UsingSecureErase.htm

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello,

It's completely normal for windows to ask you to make changes to yoru computer.,

Go here to Microsoft for some information, http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/what-are-user-account-control-settings#1TC=windows-8

Webroot does not delete programs . You might want to use ccleaner by downloading this by searching google. Make sure you go to ccleaners website here piriform.com/ccleaner/download.

You still need to be careful with any cleaners.

Hope this helps,

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Hi notpcwise,

The best way to remove all traces of any unwanted application is to use an uninstaller from the app developer whenever it is available.  When that is not possible you can use one of several products to remove most all traces of the program files and registry entries.

As with all installs and removals there is risk so it is wise to perform regular backups and create systems restore points.

One such application removal program that is well known is REVO uninstaller.  Another that I found recently and really like is Geek Uninstaller.

There are others but I have used both of these and can vouch that they have never done any damage to “my” system.

Best of Luck,
Dave
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi D-J,

That's very good idea as well. May I add that uninstaller for notpcwise?

Revo Uninstaller  Information and Download
  • Third Party Utility  Included even though a third party utility due to recommendation.  Free and fuller featured pro versions available, this utility helps remove stubborn remnants standard uninstalls can leave behind. 

Thanks D_J,

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Sure thing Sherry ;)

Dave
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Having missed the focus of permanent erase versus delete I thought I might as well get long winded again ....

Standard Deletions only mark the filename as deleted and the data area as unallocated/free.  It deletes the first few characters of the file name in the File Allocation Table.  Before all of the file recovery tools hit the market I used a HEX Editor to go in and add back the missing characters and voila the file reappears.  That only works if you do it before you start saving files that may overwrite the area that was marked as free.

As I have seen mentioned elsewhere there are many tools that do the job of permanently erasing files and folders.  I won’t get into all of the erasure methods but let’s just say that the more times you set the program to overwrite the data with 1s & 0s the longer it takes so don’t get carried away.  For non-sensitive data 1 to 3 times is more than sufficient.  For sensitive data I use 7 times as the minimum. 

Some tools I have used for erasing files and folders that have right click options in the windows shell to make it more convenient are: Eraser, Slim Cleaner, and File Shredder.  I have used others but these do an acceptable job and have configuration options.  I finally settled on File Shredder and Slim Cleaner. 

For wiping the free area of a disk I would not hesitate to use CCleaner, though there are others that I have used that do a fine job.  CCleaner is just convenient.

Lastly there is another benefit to erasing/overwriting all files and folders with 1s & 0s.  I do it on everything because of something called fragmentation.  By erasing you really do free up all of the old file/folder space and make that space available when you defrag.  I used to use CCleaner to wipe the free space on my drives occasionally because you cannot always use an eraser for deletions.  After doing that (it does take a while, especially with today’s large drives) the defrag looks really good!

Finally I'm Done,
Dave
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi D_J,

That was very good information and nicely written!

Thanks again! 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
"Discovered McAfee is still on my pc when they billed me for another year 

Called them and got that issue resolved but after searching internet and some posts in this forum, regarding McAfee, I find it seems to be all over the place in my pc.  When I clicked on McAfee folders a drop-down menu offered some different choices,amoung them : "scan with webroot" (which I did & no threats were found), "Webroot permanently erase" and another option "Delete" (which I assume is Windows).  In my pc I do not have anything McAfee listed in my uninstall program section, yet I seem to be finding McA. folders all over the place."

McAfee leaves many files after uninstalling through the normal installer. Download the MvAfee Removal tool from the AUTHORS SITE from

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/mcafee_consumer_product_removal_tool.html

This will rid you of all McAfee files left over!
Userlevel 4
Thank you so much for taking the time to help me understand how some of this works.  You have no idea how much I appreciate it. :D
Userlevel 4
Miss Sherry thank you for easing my mind about being asked for permission to make computer changes....it was kind of daunting. :S
Userlevel 4
Thank you D-J!   I went with the Geek Uninstaller.  After checking it out I really liked the simplicity and ease of use, and right now those are two things I always look for when dealing with my computer. :D
Userlevel 4
Hi Miss Sherry I did go with the Geek Uninstaller and it is just as D-J said, very easy and very uncomplicated.  Thank you for your advice, I meant to let you know in my previous post that I printed out the information from the link you previously provided me. I think I will eventually become truly comfortable with this amazing contraption.   Thank you :D
Userlevel 4
Hi Dave, please don't worry about being long winded, your information and explanations are invaluable,and very much appreciated. Thank you. :D
Userlevel 4
Thank you acooldozen.  I have printed out the information (from the link) you provided and thank you very much for taking the time to reply.  I very much appreciate it. :D
Userlevel 7
Hi Adam

Personally I would go with Revo rather than Geek Uninstaller...IMHO the former is a marginally safer/faster/safer product based on my side by side comparisons.  Just my thoughts on the products which led to me buying the Pro version of Revo rather than that of the Geek.

But have to admit that I have a copy of the Geek Free version on my system for a 'second opinion' if ever the need arises.

Hope that helps?

Regards, Baldrick