Can not install Adobe Reader update

• 20 October 2014
  • 1 reply

I was trying to watch a video interview on ESPN but my computer said I need to have Adobe Reader installed which I do so I tried to upgrade but says my anti virus won't let me do so.  What's with that?  Steve

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Hello Steve, welcome to the Webroot Community!

Chances are pretty good that the pop up from ESPN directed you do a 3rd party to download Adobe Reader instead of Adobe itself.  Often when that happens, the download includes "Additional Value Software" or "Valuable Free Trial Software".  Chances are that is happening here, and it is the extra garbage that is being flagged.

Go to Adobe.com directly to update the Reader.  When you get ready to do the download, watch very carefully.  You are almost certain to be offered extra software with it and by default it will be selected to install.  Any such extras you should remove the check marks from (Opt Out) and thus avoid getting the garbage in with the Reader.

This SHOULD work to get you able to download the Reader.  If it does not, there is likely another problem, so please report back to us if this does not work and we will go from there.