New and not tech savvy

• 21 December 2014
  • 1 reply

This is my anti-virus protection, right? And should I remove my mcafee? Thanks.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Hi bridgemama

There is no need to remove WSA if you have it installed on the same system as one that has McAfee already installed.  They should work perfectly well together...this is because WSA has been designed right from the start to work well with the other major security applications like McAfee.  What WSA does is that it complements the other app, ceding activity to it but jumping in if it thinks that the other application has missed or is not covering something.

I know of only a couple of caases where this is not so...so you should be fine running both.

However, for the future I would strongly recommend that once you are happy and confident with using WSA , that you consider getting rid of McAfee, especailly if you are or when you have to start paying for it.  In my humble opinion WSA is a far superior product both in terms of protection afforded and impact on your system (it is the lightest, in terms of the later, around by a country mile).

But if and when you decide to remove McAfee please do post again or open a new threaad, as there are a couple of things to check to make sure that you are well protected...and I do not want to raise them now so as not to confuse the reply).

Please feel free to ask further questions on this or any other WSA -related topic.

Regards, Baldrick