The company I work for sells Webroot SecureAnywhere subscrptions to many of our business clients, as well as some residential clients.
We've had numerous situations arise since December 2018 where at least five Windows 10 computers were freezing up/locking (specifically Windows Explorer) after logging into Windows rendering the computers useless and then another few at various clients did the same thing and all of them happened to have Webroot installed. Also, some of them indicated that the service may have been expired as well.
What will happen is when you login to the account, it takes a long time to login and when finally login, the mouse cursor becomes an hourglass circle and you can't open any applications, nothing. Eventually, a popup windows shows Microsoft Windows is not responding. Windows Explorer basically freezes up.
Also, I wanted to disabled Webroot on one computer because some websites were not working properly and wanted to disable, I figured out a method to disable by deleting the folder/registry keys in recovery environment. Then after I was done and tried reinstalling Webroot, then Windows Explorer froze up again after logging in.
We have never had these issues occur with computers that did not have Webroot installed.
My ultimate fix for these was to do a System restore and remove the registry keys/folders and then reinstall Webroot and everything would be fine again, Windows Explorer working.
Now, we are having an issue where we have created a new client in the SecureEverywhere portal, configure it and everything goes fine. I installed Webroot from the resources on a Windows 10 1809 laptop and it says it installed okay, but it is saying the license is expired and will not register to the portal and then eventually, Windows explorer locks up again. We tried changing the poll to 15 minutes without success.
Has anyone else experienced this issue before and is there a fix or workaround for it? Maybe is a Windows update/Webroot clashing?
Thanks in advance.
Best answer by JayBCT
I called Webroot support and yesterday (January 23, 2019) they had reported issues with keycode provisioning. They told me it got "logjammed". I reinstalled Webroot this morning after system restore on the one laptop and after letting it scan and refreshing configuration, let it sit for about an hour and the laptop started responding better and Webroot appeared to be happy. Although if they are not registering on the client portal, they told me to wait as they are communicating on the back end.
Also for those other computers with the freezing issues, it has NOT happened in about a month, so hopefully those issues are gone, but I do have a workaround if it does happen again, to delete the Webroot folder in Program Files and remove Webroot from startup in registry using recovery media or a startup disk like Hiren's HBCD.