cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn Windows Defender On or Off

Hello from Merrifield, Minnesota - Mission Township. I am so excited to start learning how to use and optimize WEBROOT SecureAnywhere after successful installation!

For starters, can anyone tell me if it is best to turn Windows Defender off while Webroot SecureAnywhere AND is there any reason why I would want to have both turned on OR direct me to the right community forum to ask this question?

The message in my Action Center under Spyware and unwanted software protection says, "Running two or more antispyware programs at at the same time can cause your computer to run slowly."

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and expertise.

Indomite 

21 REPLIES
Silver VIP

Re: Turn Windows Defender On or Off

Hello Indomite, Welcome to the Webroot Community Forum. Smiley Happy

You can run WSA with or without Windows Defender.

http://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/How-to-Run-WSA-alongside-Windows-De...

Dave

Silver VIP

Late 2015 5K 27" Mac, 4GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB Fusion Drive, macOS High Sierra, 10.13.6  

iMac Clone & Backup with SuperDuper / Time Machine / iCloud 

Windows 7 X 64, 3.4GHz i7, 10GB RAM, 1TB HD

I appreciate receiving your response so fast! I know that I can have both Windows Defender and Webroot SecureAnywhere on at the same time. What I want to know is it advantageous to have both on at the same time since running two or more antispyware programs at the same time can cause my computer to run slowly OR is it disadvantageous? If disadvantageous, please explain reasons. Thank you.

Silver VIP

I like running WSA Complete by itself because it makes my old computers run faster. If you want a layer security you can run both. I trust WSA for keeping my computer safe. This video explains how WSA works:

https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-Education/What-Happens-if-Webroot-quot-Misses-quot-a-Virus/...

Dave

Silver VIP

Late 2015 5K 27" Mac, 4GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB Fusion Drive, macOS High Sierra, 10.13.6  

iMac Clone & Backup with SuperDuper / Time Machine / iCloud 

Windows 7 X 64, 3.4GHz i7, 10GB RAM, 1TB HD

Bronze VIP

@Indomite wrote:

I appreciate receiving your response so fast! I know that I can have both Windows Defender and Webroot SecureAnywhere on at the same time. What I want to know is it advantageous to have both on at the same time since running two or more antispyware programs at the same time can cause my computer to run slowly OR is it disadvantageous? If disadvantageous, please explain reasons. Thank you.

Hello Indomite and welcome to the Webroot Community!

You can run WSA alone without Defender. While layered approach is generally recommended you don't need to do that with WSA. WSA is really a "all in one" security solution. Running Defender helps you to nothing. If you want to run any other antimalware applications, everyone free out there is better than Defender. I run WSA Complete alone with Vista Firewall enabled and never had an issue (infection or performance).

Sr. Expert Advisor

Silver VIP

Hello Indomite and welcome to the Webroot Community!

I do not have a lot to add here, as the ability to use Webroot and Windows Defender together has already been well documented above.  I will note though that many in the computer field regard Windows Defender as "better than nothing.. but barely".  Webroot will work fine alongside any other AV/Malware solution, even though many solutions claim otherwise.  If you ever have any problem configuring your system to use Webroot along with another solution, just give us a post here or submit a trouble ticket.

David

New to the Community? Register now and start posting!

Helpful Webroot Links:

Download (PC)   Download (Best Buy Subscription)   Submit Trouble Ticket   Account Console   User Guides   

"If you don't learn something new every day, you need to pay more attention. I often get my daily learning here so grab a chair and stay a while!"

WSA-Complete (Beta PC), WSA Mobile (Android), WSA Business Mobile (Android) WSA-Endpoint (PC- Some of the time.....)

Hello Indomite and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums! Pull up a chair and stay awhile! Smiley Wink I also agree WD in the off mode and just use WSA.

TH

Good Evening!  Indomite...warm greetings to the Brother and Sisterhood of Webroot. I concur with my fellow Rooters...remove Windows Defender...because WSA Security Plus has Stellar Detection...and Removal...if you feel the need to introduce an additional Anti-Malware App...I would look at Hitman Pro...to compliment Webroot...but on an On Demand Useage only! Sincerely...Securon

@securon wrote:

Good Evening!  Indomite...warm greetings to the Brother and Sisterhood of Webroot. I concur with my fellow Rooters...remove Windows Defender...because WSA Security Plus has Stellar Detection...and Removal...if you feel the need to introduce an additional Anti-Malware App...I would look at Hitman Pro...to compliment Webroot...but on an On Demand Useage only! Sincerely...Securon

Hi securon nice to see you here from Wilders and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums even though you joined over a year ago. Smiley Wink

Cheers,

Daniel

Silver VIP

@securon wrote:

Hello Securon and welcome to the Webroot Community!  It looks like TH already knows you, so I hope you visit here more often and get to know the rest of us over here!

David

New to the Community? Register now and start posting!

Helpful Webroot Links:

Download (PC)   Download (Best Buy Subscription)   Submit Trouble Ticket   Account Console   User Guides   

"If you don't learn something new every day, you need to pay more attention. I often get my daily learning here so grab a chair and stay a while!"

WSA-Complete (Beta PC), WSA Mobile (Android), WSA Business Mobile (Android) WSA-Endpoint (PC- Some of the time.....)