• 14 September 2014
  • 2 replies

what is Spy Hunter?

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello lovepeewee,

Welcome to the Community Forum.

Are you asking about Spy Hunter installer exe.? I'd advise you to issue a Support Ticket so that Tech Support can look at your Computer. From my research it is a malicious file that causes system crashes, pop up errors, severe damage to the registry and your files. Are you saying you have this on your computer?

Please issue a support ticket here: https://www.webrootanywhere.com/servicewelcome.asp

Let us know how it goes or if you have anymore questions!

Best Regards,
Userlevel 7
Hi lovepeewee

Welcome to the Community Forums.

SpyHunter describes itself as "...a powerful, real-time anti-spyware application certified by West Coast Labs’ Checkmark Certification System and designed to assist the average computer user in protecting their PC from malicious threats."

And whilst not classified as malware, etc., opinion is divided on it & it has appeared on some sites lists of applications considered "rogue/suspect" anti-spyware programs for various reasons.  These lists fluctuate as some of the applications are delisted by some after the vendors for these programs take steps to correct the problems/issues that got them onto the lists in the first place.  So they are not actuall viewed as malware or nasty.  It should be notes that de-listing should not be understood as an endorsement or recommendation of any kind. 

From what I have read specifically about SpyHunter...the listing was predominantly because of the company's history of employing what many see as aggressive, deceptive advertising.  I am not saying that this is true...only reporting what I have garnered from research.

Given that there are many excellent anti-spyware applications available, and if you are a WSA user then you have one of the best 😉 I can see no reason for using SpyHunter. 

If it is installed on your system then I would look to uninstall it, and come back to us here or the Support Team via the Support Ticket recommended by Sherry, if you feel that you have not been able to uninstall it completely or correctly.

Hope that helps?

Regards, Baldrick