File found on my computer

• 14 December 2013
  • 7 replies

I found a file under "users" on my computer called Easy Survey and it has sub folders but it won't allow me to delete it saying I don't have authority, only administrator can delete. But I am the only user on this pc and I am the administrator. When I ask Webroot to scan it says there's no problem with it. Can anyone tell me what this is?

Thank you for your help...I am new to this forum-just signed up today:)

7 replies

Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I found a file under "users" on my computer called Easy Survey and it has sub folders but it won't allow me to delete it saying I don't have authority, only administrator can delete. But I am the only user on this pc and I am the administrator. When I ask Webroot to scan it says there's no problem with it. Can anyone tell me what this is?

Thank you for your help...I am new to this forum-just signed up today:)
Hello klh54 and welcome to the Webroot Community!

It may be locked by the program, or the program actually in use.  While it may not be malware, it certainly does NOT sound like it is something that SHOULD be there.

Have you checked to see if it is actually a program that would be listed in the Control Panel, Programs that can be uninstalled?

Have you tried rebooting to Safe Mode and removing it then?
Userlevel 7
Hi klh54

May I add my welcome to David's.  Good to have you here...:D

Have you by any chance at any time in the past either been part of an online survey or answered an online survey?  Reason I ask is that googling 'Easy Survey' yields some interesting results...none flagged as relating to malicious or suspect web sites I hasten to add.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 2
I doubt the folder is taking up much space but if you want to delete it just download unlocker.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_unlocker/
Userlevel 7
Hi GTR707

Whilst that may well do the trick 'technically' I personally would be hesitant to just delete something without having some idea as how it onto the disk, what it relates to, etc., as that may cause more trouble than it is currently causing.

Just my thoughts. ;)

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I doubt the folder is taking up much space but if you want to delete it just download unlocker.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_unlocker/
While that program may be OK, DO watch out of PUA's that may try to hitchhike with it and be sure to uncheck any that are there.
Thanks, I did find out it's a harmless file embedded with Microsoft Office to send survey info. Took me a while to find out what it was!

Thanks again.
Userlevel 7
I need to make a VERY important clarification to my first reply.  I failed to mention the fact that is it a VERY unwise idea to simply remove items that you do not know what they are.  Serious damage can result.  ALWAYS fully research items that are not marked as bad but you do not know what they are BEFORE removing them.

Glad that it is all worked out for you!  Upon install of Office, I always opt out of that type of feedback, so it does not install that into my computer.