Solved

HELP Please!...I installed WR several days ago but ....

• 22 September 2015
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
But I still have a **bleep** redirect virus that sends me to newly loaded webpages advertising anything from healthcare to Norton Antivirus to an alarm message that speaks to me saying Ihave a virus and contact the company advertising immediately.

So, I did a system restore to a point several weeks ago ...still have the virus but now I have to reinstall WR (how best to do that??) Uninstalled Google Chrome which is where all this started.  Using IE now

Feeling lost and confused..ugh

Thanks for anyone's help.

Specs

PC OS: Windows 7 64bit
icon

Best answer by EAMEGS 23 September 2015, 20:42

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello there, welcome to the Community!

The behavior you are seeing is coming from what we on the Community refer to as a PUA. (Potentially Unwanted Application)These are very annoying at best in that they cause pop-us, redirect your browser home page, and other behavior that may slow down the computer and direct ads your way, but they are not actually doing anything bad like damaging files or stealing information. Often they are installed intentionally by you the user as browser add-ons for various tasks such as quick search tools.. but they also come with the result of added annoying pop-ups and ads. Other times they 'piggy back' with other software that you installed, or try to 'sneak' onto your system entirely.

WSA does detect and remove many PUA's, and more are being added, but WSA does not detect all of them. A simple browser add-on with PUA behavior that is easy to identify and easy to remove is not likely to be detected and removed by WSA. Those that are intentionally difficult to locate and remove are. Please see THIS LINK for more information regarding Webroot's stance on these annoying programs.

The best thing to do is to submit a Trouble Ticket and ask Webroot Support to take a look and remove these for you.  There is NO CHARGE for this for valid WSA license holder.

Before contacting support, you can reinstall WSA by simply using one of the download links below in my 'signature'.  Have your key code handy when you run the installer.

I hope this helps!

Userlevel 1
Thank you, David. I appreciate the insight and suggestions (which I have followed). WR reached out to ask for a time to scheduke a call, so hopefully that will resolve some issues.

I now have a new issue which I suspect may be related to the WR installation.  It pertains to MS Outlook 2010. 
SO, as previously mentioned, I continue to deal with a virus as described in prior communications. Now, my MS outlook 2010 is no longer able to connect to servers. I have multiple accounts using different servers so this must be a problem with my computer. Interestingly, I had this problem two days ago after I had installed WR and when I did a system restore to a point several weeks ago, before I had installed WR, Outlook had no issue. Then I re-installed WR and lo and behold, the Outlook issue resurfaced and I can no longer access email from any of my different servers. I can receive email on my mobile device however and can also access email via the various web clients offered
Userlevel 7
Hello ?,

The best thing to do at this point would be to submit a support ticket here. Or call our support team at 1-866-612-4227 so they can look into this for you.

Regards,
Userlevel 1
OK....so, update. I was called by WR Tech Support.  Shree logged onto my computer remotely and spent the better part of 12o minutes eradicating the virus from my system. He then de-installed WR to determine if that was the issue with MS Outlook 2010 not being able to connect with servers.  Apparently not the case because Outlook still couldn't connect. He suggested doing a resinstall of Outlook...not looking forward to that.

In any case, virus seems to be gone. Thanks much to WR tech support for a job well done.  Now on to my Outlook issue...
Userlevel 7
Hello,

Thank you for the update!

I am pleased to hear that Shree was able to get that sorted for you.

I can attest to the pain that is uninstalling and reinstalling Outlook and wish you the best of luck!

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you ever need anything else.

Regards,