I cannot connect to internet and get an error message "unable to connect to proxy server"

• 14 January 2015
  • 9 replies

Hello,

I have been using Webroot for all my computers (and kid's computers) at home for 2 or 3 years. My son is getting an error
"unable to connect to proxy server" for the last 2 weeks. This error occasionally come and goes, and happens on both IE and Chrome. I found out via Google search that there may be a Proxy virus. How can I get rid of this?

Thank you,
Mehran

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello Mehran,

Welcome to the Community Forum,

It might be something that just did not install correctly. I would like you to try a 'clean re-isntall' if you can. Just do the following:

• Make sure you have a copy of your Keycode
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Subscription PC users click HERE)
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode and don't import any settings as you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again

Give it a try and let us know how it goes or if you want to issue a Support Ticket free of charge and they can check this out for you.

Regards,

Hi Sherry,

Thank you for your input.
I first downloaded wsainstall from a working PC to an external hard drive. unistalled Webroot & re-installed it on the PC with the problem. After scan webroot did not find any infected threads. I rebooted again; however, I continue to see a similar error "The proxy server isn't responding".

What shall I do next?

Thanks,
Mehran
Userlevel 7
Badge +52
Hello
"The proxy server isn't responding". - This alert webroot?
Try changing the settings:

Could you please tell us more about this warning you are seeing?
The error message also said "Check your proxy setting 127.0.0.1:49551"

On IE I tried Internet options > Connections > LAN Settings > and  tried to uncheck "Use a proxy server for your LAN..." but it automatically rechecks it.

I also tried the hardwire connection with an Eternet connection to my router, but cannot connect to Internet!
In the Network section I clicked the Proxy and see that the "Automatic detect settings" is "Off". Also "Use automatic configuration script" is "off".
Under Manual proxy setup "Use a proxy server"  is "On". Address: http=127.0.0.1:49551;http=127.0.0.1:49551
Under "Use the proxy server except for addresses taht start with the following entries. Use semicolons (;) to separate entries." I see: <-loopback>

I have tried to delete the <-loopback> or change to auto configuration, but it immediately reverts back to the setting above.
Userlevel 7
Badge +52
just make a new connection and delete existing one
Please walk me through the steps. How do I do that?
Userlevel 6
Hi @ ,
that does't sound good.
If the proxy is set to 127.0.0.1(which is your loopback address) that means that your browser tries to use your own PC as a proxy.
There are two reasons for that, either you're using a VPN-Provider which requires this configuration(like TOR) or you really have some kind of malware on your PC which relays your browsing; evidence for the last could be that you can't remove the proxy settings.
Normally I would recommend you to run an additional anti-malware software, but as you're a Webroot subscriber you can contact support and have them look at your PC(and also have them clean your PC if needed).
http://www.webroot.com/us/en/support/
OK, thank you for your input. I will try the Webroot support .