Task Mananger freezing when Firefox is open

• 21 January 2018
  • 8 replies

Hello Community,

Coming across an interesting issue this week. As the subject says, Task Manager is freezing/unresponsive when it is opening and only when FireFox is already open. While Task Manager is trying to start up the rest of the my computer is being bogged down as well; mouse is jitter/slow to respond, other applications will slow down as well, video's and music stop working in Firefox. Essential everything until either I can kill task manager by Alt + F4, wait for task manager to finish loading, or force shut down the computer. Those are the symptoms.

To get the expected question out of the way. Firefox is on the latest version 57.0.4. Webroot is on 9.0.18.44 and my windows 10 computer is up to date. This webroot install was purchased online. My computer is a custom built by me, if specs are needed let me know.

I've concluded so far that the root cause IS webroot. If I disable webroot protection, the freeze doesn't occur. This doesn't effect any other browser; IE, Edge, or Chrome. It only happens when Firefox is already open. If you reverse the order task manager loads just fine.

What I've done so far:
  • I found hints of other having the same issue and other suggested disabling some aspect of shields. I disabled all of it. no change.
  • I have started Firefox in safe mode multiple times along with disabling/preventing the extension for webroot to install in Firefox. I had one instance which I can't seem to reproduce which I had success.
  • Reinstalled Firefox(rebooting after un-install).
  • Refreshed Firefox through their troubleshooting information in the browser.
What I thought of doing next:
  • Reinstalling webroot
  • Fresh image of Windows 10 (its still the original upgrade from Win7 which I don't recall how long this image has been on this machine)[list]
  • I'd like to avoid this if possible just because its a pain to rebuild.
[/list]Right now i'm just being cautious of not opening task manager when FireFox is open for the time being. I enjoy Firefox due to it being significantly faster

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Omegaparticl

Welcome to the Community Forums.

I am afraid that this is a ongoing problem when using Firefox and Task Manager; causing a slow down or freezing of the system requiring a reboot. Others (though not all) have had issues with Chrome as well (see HERE & HERE for information).

The Support Team are aware of the issue and indeed a fix was issued under v9.0.19.xxx, but apparently some users are still experiencing issues under v9.0.19.36, so check what version you are on. If not on the aforementioned then undertake a 'Check for updates' to get yourself to the latest version (you should be given what you have detailed as having tried so far...but it never hurts to make absolutely sure). And if still having the issue then please Open a Support Ticket, including a link to this thread or just copy paste the detail from your post, to advise the Support Team that have the issue.

They should be working on a fix and the information that you provide could be useful to them. Hopefully, for those that still have the issue there will be a fix soon.

Hope that helps?

Regards, Baldrick
Is there a way to force update the version? Looks like I'm slightly behind but when I go to the tray icon to check for updates it says it is current unless that is just threat definitions. Is the versions you are talking about have not been released to home users yet.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Is there a way to force update the version? Looks like I'm slightly behind but when I go to the tray icon to check for updates it says it is current unless that is just threat definitions. Is the versions you are talking about have not been released to home users yet.
Yes download and install over top and you will have v9.0.19.36: http://anywhere.webrootcloudav.com/zerol/wsainstall.exe and it's best to do a reboot after.

@ Note all the threat definitions are in the Cloud and no need to download definitions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Does anyone know if another fix for this has been issued? the problem seems to have disappeared today on both my Pcs.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Does anyone know if another fix for this has been issued? the problem seems to have disappeared today on both my Pcs.
Were still waiting to hear from @ for more info on this and a few other things going on.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I am happy to hear that the issue disappeared on @ 's machines. We didnt specifically put in a fix for the task manager issue yet but seems like something did the magic :)

Our latest Web filtering extenstion(1.6.0.13) may have positively impacted the issue. I will have our team reproduce and investigate whether that is the case. 

Thanks a lot for the update though. 

On another note, we have just published an update to the Beta version(9.0.19.43) that takes care of the Win logon/black screen issue. Please let us know how that's looking. 

Thanks again
Pawani

How can we manually updates clients that are running Endpoint Protection in managed mode?  The installer cannot be run locally due to permissions at the client not allowing it.

I have only one person at this point that has this Firefox issue and need to get them updated ASAP. 
Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
How can we manually updates clients that are running Endpoint Protection in managed mode?  The installer cannot be run locally due to permissions at the client not allowing it.

I have only one person at this point that has this Firefox issue and need to get them updated ASAP. 
Thanks.
The best thing you can do is Submit a Business Support Ticket and they will give you the correct information!
Or:
CALL US
1-866-254-8400

Thanks,

Daniel