Will Webroot detect and repair DllRegisterServer errors?

• 9 October 2015
  • 3 replies

receiving a message from Windows that says Rootkit.Sirefef.Spy and Trojan virus found in System32NT Kernel on a pop up screen and on a big blue screen it says DllRegisterServer failed and it gives an error code. Says there is a windows defender error and gives a code for that as well. Will Webroot detect and repair these isues? If not - any ideas? I have gone to my computer to see if there is anything i can uninstall that has been downloaded and i do not see anything obvious.

Thanks Lisa

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hello ? and Welcome to the Webroot Community. 

The first thing to clarify is from where are these messages coming? Windows is not likely to pop-up and give you such messages. Do you have any other security software installed besides Webroot?

Because you must beware of the many types of scams that are around nowadays. 

http://www.webroot.com/blog/2013/04/30/fake-microsoft-security-scam/

Please read these two threads:   https://community.webroot.com/t5/Techie/a-pop-up-from-Microsoft-said-there-was-a-possible-threat-call-1/m-p/151519#M5987  

https://community.webroot.com/t5/Techie/Has-anyone-got-a-message-to-call-855-993-4055-because-of-a-virus/m-p/175667#M6718     

Edit: Just to add that first thing I would look at is checking if any unknown, new or unusual add-ons/extensions are showing in any of the browsers, and remove if found, and reboot or reset browsers.

If your Webroot scans are clean, then it's most likely ok, but you may have some PUA (potentially unwanted application) also, which triggers these pop-ups. 
So, you may like to Submit a Support Ticket  which is included in an active subscription, and they will be happy to reassure you of the situation. 

Please let us know if we can assist further. 

Userlevel 7
Hi Imongiello

Wecome to the Community Forums.

If I may just add to what Dermot has advised, more specicailly in the case of DllRegisterServer error? No, WSA will not specifically repair something of that nature, as it is a security application not a system utility application.

Now it is possible that this issue is due to the other that you have reported; namely the "Rootkit.Sirefef.Spy and Trojan virus found" which WSA should either be able to deal with and if not the the Webroot Support Team will, as and when you open a support ticket, if it is indeed present. If the issues are linked then resolving the first may resolve the second.

The DllRegisterServer error is behaviour that can occur if one tries to register a DLL by using Regsrv32 whilst logged on using an account that does not have administrative credentials, which may be the case if the trojan is trying to carry out certain actions on your system. On the otherhand it may not be linked at all and then due to some action you have been taking separately.

Therefore best to follow Dermot advice in the first instance and if in any doubt or if you have any concerns then to open the support ticket to let the Support Team investigate for you, making sure that you mention the possible linkage re. the DllRegisterServer error.

Hope that helps a little further?

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Many thanks for the support and detailed added info Mon Ami ? We all live and learn. Have a lovely day. :D  Dermot