Solved

buzz it

• 7 June 2014
  • 1 reply

Okay so I hadn't touched my laptop in 3 weeks, came back on it and found I needed to update firefox. I did so and noticed soon after I was being slammed with radom pop ups. I got an alert that I had malware on my system, cleared my history, cache, cookies ect and used my virus scanner to do the rest. I leave my computer alone for another two weeks, turn it on and immediately have more malware. After I scanned and deleted everything AGAIN, my computer freezes and completely lags up. I noticed that the malware was coming from my C:// directory. Taking it upon myself I go to that directory only to find a TON of programs downloaded themselves onto my system, one of the major programs, BUZZ IT! I had to spend hours uninstalling programs I never downloaded, clearing out malware, defraging and the works. It sucks that Webroot didn't pick up on the fact that random programs were being installed on my computer and ontop of that it was starting to get into my BIOS. Lucky I managed to rid of the BUZZ IT pest, and cure my computer by myself. Just a heads up to those who have "pop up" problems where their browser is being hijacked, random tabs opening, random things poppping up. Check your C:// drive and make sure no programs have installed themselves, this is NOT being detected as a threat but it almost killed my computer and as a college student, I can't afford another.
icon

Best answer by Baldrick 7 June 2014, 12:25

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Hi shadoweddarkfyre

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Sorry to hear about your issue.  Buzz It is adware rather than malware and is what is know as a PUA or PUP, Potentially Unwanted App or Program.

I am not sure exactly how anything would have downloaded itself to your laptop whilst it was off...but often these PUAs/PUPs piggyback themselves on other downloads, especially those that are from 3rd party sites, i.e., not the site of the manufacturer of the app being downloaded.  That might be one way that you received them...but that is only a guess.

One of our gurus, @ , has provided the following to assist in this sort of case, and for the future:

"WSA does detect and remove many PUA's, and more are being added, but WSA does not dedect all of them. A simple browser add-on with PUA behavior that is easy to identify and easy to remove is not likely to be dectected and removed by WSA. Those that are intentionally difficult to locate and remove are. Please see https:///t5/Tips-and-Tricks/Webroot-s-position-on-PUA/m-p/40404#M448 for more information regarding Webroot's stance on these annoying programs.

For those that are not detected by WSA, please see this KB Article. It has some easy to follow directions on locating and removing PUA's.  You may also want to submite a Trouble Ticket, especially if you cannot remove it easily from the directions in the KB Article.

For those that ARE detected by WSA, but cannot be removed automatically, you can submit a Trouble Ticket.  Webroot Support will help you get these annoying 'crapware' off your computer, and the additional examples may help to better automatic removal of that particular PUA for all users in the future.

To make sure that your WSA is checking for PUA's with the best proficiently, it sometimes helps to reset the PUA detection within WSA's settings. For PUA's that had previously been scanned and determined to be OK, but have since been added to detection/removal, you may want to complete the following steps:

• Open Webroot SecureAnywhere
  • Click on ‘Advanced Settings’ from the top right
  • Select ‘Scan Settings’ from the left side
  • Unselect the option “Detect Potentially Unwanted Applications”
  • Click on the Save button (you may have to enter in a CAPTCHA)
  • Reselect the option to “Detect Potentially Unwanted Applications”
  • Click on the Save button
  • Run another scan with Webroot and remove any items that get detected.
To help avoid PUA's in the future, remember to read all of the information when installing or updating software (Adobe downloads often have those "extra special offers"attatched... PUA'S!: often the PUA included will be mentioned, and you can opt out of installing it.  Those check boxes you see? Usually only one of them is for the User Agreement of the software you want, the others are for the junk you don't."

Many thanks to David for this, and I hope this helps you both understand, and resolve the problem more definitively if (but hopefully not) and when it occurs next.

Please let us know if yo have any further questions on the subject.

Regards

Baldrick

PS.  Just a tip...your original post should IMHO have been made in either the WSA  Antivirus, Internet Security Plus or Complete forums, depending on the version you are using, rather than here which is really for feature requests.  Hope that you do not mind me point this out, for future reference? ;)