iOS 10.10.4, and running Windows 7 on a virtual machine with Parallels

• 8 August 2015
  • 5 replies

I am running Webfoot on an iMac, with iOS 10.10.4, and running Windows 7 on a virtual machine with Parallels Do I need to install Webfoot separately on the virtual Windows machine?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello ?,

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

The answer depends upon how you work and have your system set up. If you download files to your virtual machine and visit websites within Windows, then you need anti-virus and anti-spyware software for your PC side. Your Mac software cannot adequately protect Windows.

So I would install Webroot for VM protection.

Hope this helps?

Kind Regards,

Userlevel 7
Hi rmtbvt

Welcome to the Community Forums.

As far as I am aware a virtual machine is treated as a separate instance in relation to the host machine, and therefore is not protected by the instance of WSA running on the host machine.  If the VM can be exposed to malware vectors such as has a connection to the internet, etc, then 'Yes' you would need to install WSA under the VM...and bear in mind that would count as a separate device and so consume an additional device from the number covered by the subscription.

Also you should note that you would need to PC version of WSA to be installed in the VM whilst you currently have the Mac version installed in the host system.

Hope that helps?

Regards, Baldrick
I am running an iMac, iOS 10.10.4, and running Windows 7 in a virtual machine under Parallels.  Webroot is installed on the Mac, but I doubt that the iMac installation protects the virtual Windows 7 machine.  So, I just want to know whether I need to install Webroot on the PC virtual machine as well as on the iMac.

Thanks.

(merged dupilcate posts>ssherjj)
Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Hi rmtbvt

You are most welcome.  Please let us know if yo uhave any furtyher questions.

Regards, Baldrick