Solved

Disable Script Debugging (Internet Explorer)

• 22 October 2014
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 2
  • New Voice
  • 8 replies
I'm embarassed to even ask this question -- but can somone please tell me why a checkmark keeps appearing in the Disable Script Debugging box (Tools/Internet Options/Advanced)?  I clear the box, click Apply, and the checkmark keeps coming back.  Plus IE is really, really slow.  I tried searching MS for a solution and can't find anything.  I recall having this problem a long time ago, but I am completely lost in the fog now.  Thanks to all.
PK
icon

Best answer by shorTcircuiT 22 October 2014, 19:14

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 2
I keep unchecking the disable script debugging box and click Apply of course, but the box keeps checking itself each time I leave IE and return.  What am I missing? 
Thanks,
Phyllis
Userlevel 7
Hello PK, welcome to the Webroot Community!

I am not 100% sure of this.. I am more of a Chrome user to be entirely honest.  One thing that comes to mind though is possibly the file(s) that store the advanced settings of IE have become corrupt in some way.

NOTE: it is the default to have that option checked, in order to block degugging scripts from running.  Most users should leave this option in the checked position.

One thing that we can try is to simply reset all of your options/settings and see if that works.  That will, of course, reset ALL of your settings, so you might want to glance through everything noting how things are currently set.

In IE, click the Menu button at upper right corner
Select Internet Options
Select the Advanced tab
At the bottom is that Reset button.  That warning is there for a reason: use only if there is a major issue, but this seems to me that it is.

If this does not work, I would suggest that you run a full scan with your AV software (I assume you use Webroot).  If nothing is found, and resetting IE options does not work, there MIGHT be a chance of an unidentified malware working here, so you might want to consider submitting a Trouble Ticket to have Webroot Support take a quick look.

Let me know what happens, and hopefully someone else will have other ideas as well.
Userlevel 2
Thank you, David. Will try resetting and then a full scan with Webroot. I'll let you know.
PK
Userlevel 2
Hello again David. I ran a scan and of course it came through clean. I reset the Internet Options and everything appears to be fine right now. And then I ran another scan just for fun and it too came through clean. I remain humbly grateful and stumped. Thanks so much! Phyllis
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Hello again David. I ran a scan and of course it came through clean. I reset the Internet Options and everything appears to be fine right now. And then I ran another scan just for fun and it too came through clean. I remain humbly grateful and stumped. Thanks so much! Phyllis
Excellent!  I am glad that worked out the easy way!

Basically, all settings in the various programs we use are stored in files.  When you change a setting, the file is changed to record the change.  Sometimes, just like any other file, those files that contain settings can become corrupt.  

Resetting IE setting essentially erases the settings file and re-writes it with default values.  

Anyway, glad it is working and you are very welcome!  Please drop by any time you have a question, problem, or just want to say hi 🙂
Userlevel 2
Will do. I'm so thankful for your help. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I found this article from MS that might help:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie9-windows_7/i-cannot-turn-off-the-automatic-script-debugger/90afcb9d-d854-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5?auth=1
There's a link to a Fix-It tool in there that they suggest if you can't get the settings to change manually.
Userlevel 7
I think we got this one fixed the other day.  The OP posted on two threads evidently, and I missed this one.  Sorry about that!  I try to catch duplicate threads!

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Good to know thanks!  I had gotten an alert that this thread wasn't answered (I get those automatically after a couple days on any question that never got a reply).