OS hang with Win7 / IE11 / Webroot

• 8 April 2014
  • 5 replies

Hi,

I have a couple of Win7 Pro 64 machines and the same thing happens on both. I have had a suspicion re webroot for a while and finally proved it today. At some point when I'm looking at a number of sites in IE, the OS goes into an effective hang and I can only recover by hitting the power switch. The symptom is a sudden major slowdown of the UI to below a crawl - the gui response is so slow that it's even impossible to shut down any apps. Both are HP machines, the one I'm working on now is 8 core 16 gb RAM, so it's probably not a resource issue.

The problem has been happening for a year now, but it was only today and by opening ~8 sites on new tabs from a Google search on 'best web design' that I found a reliable way to replicate the problem. I did that a couple of times with and the hang happened each time. Then I switched of all of webroot and .... the problem went away.

Apart from being held up and losing work I always do a chkdsk /f after each hard shutdown - so each hang costs me 15+ minutes and is, of course, v annoying.

FYI these sites I opened are below. I'm going to try working in Chrome for a while to see whether that has the same problem - but in the meantime I have some work to do and I have had to do the power switch thing 3 times this morning so webroot is staying turned off for a few hours. BTW I'm a tech with several decades experience on Win / OS X / Unix i.e. not a newbe.

Edit - to post this I have had to remove the list of websites - they're available on demand...

Alan

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi alanambrose

Welcome to the Community Forums...:D

Thank you for such a useful initial post...I am sure it will be read with interest by others in the Community (as I have done).

Given what you say I would Open a Support Ticket either replicating what you have put in your post or referencing this thread so that the Support Team can consider your findings.

If you do decide to do this then please post back in this thread as to what response you receive, etc., as that will be of benefit to the whole Community...now and in the future.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Hello alanambrose, 

The only thing I might add to what Baldrick said is to suggest a clean reinstall of WSA if you have not already done so.  That would be simply to remove it, reboot the computer, and reinstall it and see if that makes any change to the situation.

Userlevel 7
Hello alanambrose, 

Now it is my turn...the only thing I might add to what David said...;) is to say that you should make sure, if and when attempting a clean reinstall of WSA, that you DO NOT import/use previous settings...should the installer ask you if you want to.

Do post back to let us know how you get on; if the issue is resolved or not and if not then we will see if there is anything further that we can do to help.

Regards

Baldrick
OK I'll try the re-install. In the meantime I'm trying to use Chrome for most things (I'm sure there are those who roll their eyes that I was using IE in the 1st place.)

Alan  
Userlevel 7
Hi Alan

Thanks for the feedback...and keep us posted on how you get on. http://www.forumsextreme.com/images2/sFun_balloonsmilies.gif

Also, why would anyone roll their eyes at the use of IE?  The latest version is right up there with the other heavy hitters and I suspect that IE12 will be even better.  I use IE11, as well as Firefox, Chrome & Maxthon, depending on what I am doing on the web. 

I find that different browsers are better for different things...but also because when offering support in the Community it pays to use a range of browsers as that is what the users use.

Look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Regards

Baldrick