Password Manager's Recently Used List

• 11 September 2013
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
What triggers the addition of a web site to the Recently Used list in the Password Manager toolbar?  Sometimes sites show up in the list and other times they don't.  Sometimes sites get added when I exit my browser and other times they don't.  I can't figure out when a site should get added to the list.  I think adding a new site to the Master/Group list also adds it to the Recently Used list, but that seems to be the only case that I can reliably reproduce.

I only have one site Group set up.  I'm using Chrome, but I had the same trouble in Firefox.

This isn't a big problem.  It's just frustrating because most times if the site I want to go to is a site that I've visited recently, it won't be in the Recently Used list.  I've tried clearing the list, but that doesn't seem to affect the issue.

Jeff

3 replies

Userlevel 7
If the sites are not being added to the list at all, have you tried clearing the toolbar's cache? I have to wonder if maybe there's a corrupt value in there that could be related. Try going to Tools on the toolbar and clicking Clear Local Cache.

If the sites are disappearing upon closing the browser, that's actually normal. What might be happening to cause that not to be the case for you is that you have more than one instance of the browser open or there is a related hung-open process. For instance, when you close Firefox, you can use Task Manager to make sure all firefox.exe processes have ended prior to reopening it. If one is hung open, there is something wrong with Firefox itself to cause it to hang open like that. I actually see this on Chrome more often on a couple of personal computers. If the process is still open, the list won't clear.
Userlevel 1
Hi Jim,

Just to clarify -- when I close my browser, Webroot is supposed to clear the Recently Used list of sites in Password Manager?  I didn't know that.

Further -- while I'm browsing in a single session, sites that I select from my permanent list in Password Manager and any sites that I visit are supposed to show up in the Recently Used list?

Right now, no sites are showing up.  I tried clearing my toolbar cache like you suggested, and I tried clearing the Recently Used list itself.  No change to the behavior.  I just visited 3 sites by navigating to their URL, and again by selecting them from Sites list in Password Manager.  I also logged into this site to post a reply, and yet the Recently Used list remains empty.

I know what you mean about leftover processes.  In Chrome, if you don't change any of the default preferences, it will keep background tasks open even when the browser UI is closed.  I have changed that particular preference so that Chrome terminates all of its processes when the browser is closed.

Jeff
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Hi Jim,

Just to clarify -- when I close my browser, Webroot is supposed to clear the Recently Used list of sites in Password Manager?  I didn't know that.

I have to assume that's the case.  In my testing, the list is cleared upon closing of the browser, which would indicate to me it's working as designed.  Similarly, you have to sign into the toolbar each time you open the browser in Firefox, which is also by design. 
jmbellune wrote:
Further -- while I'm browsing in a single session, sites that I select from my permanent list in Password Manager and any sites that I visit are supposed to show up in the Recently Used list?

Not every site you visit will necessarily show up in that list.  However, ones you sign into automatically with Webroot should show up in the list, as far as I'm aware.
jmbellune wrote:
Right now, no sites are showing up.  I tried clearing my toolbar cache like you suggested, and I tried clearing the Recently Used list itself.  No change to the behavior.  I just visited 3 sites by navigating to their URL, and again by selecting them from Sites list in Password Manager.  I also logged into this site to post a reply, and yet the Recently Used list remains empty.

Webroot's own websites are designed not to show up in the recently used list and are intended to not have login information captureed by the toolbar.  The idea behind doing that is that we are trying to protect our users from saving their own master password.  I don't think we really need to be blocking the toolbar from saving the password to every last Webroot website, but that's how it's configured. :)  To get it to save the community username and password, use the feature "Save all Entered Data."

That said, at least some sites should be showing up, provided you aren't using only Webroot's own pages as test URLs.  If you wouldn't mind, maybe you could share with me the URL's of the sites you're trying to get into, and I can then test using those sites.  If you don't want to post the site names, maybe you could send them over to me via private message?