Passwords

• 7 December 2014
  • 1 reply

I installed webroot on my computer and it wiped out all my logins and passwords for my websites.  I don't mind re-entering them but now they aren't memorized.  I use windows 7.  Help!

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Hello lancechmp, welcome to the Webroot Community!

I see that you posted this under the WSA-Complete board, so the following DOES assume that WSA-Complete is the version that you purchased.

WSA does not, automatically, delete cookies which is where saved passwords within the browser are stored.  I have not encountered the loss of password cookies subsequent to a WSA install.

Did you happen to run the System Optimizer?  While it will not delete cookies from the Google Chrome browser, it will indeed remove cookies from IE.   Also, if you happend to use your browsers built in "Clear Browser History" or cache, that would have deleted those cookies as well.

There simply is no way that i know of to recover deleted cookies unless they happened to be strored in the Recycle Bin, but this is not very likely.  To recover the passwords, you will need to use each web sites own password recovery.

Once you have done that, might I suggest that you also configure the WSA Password Manger?  It can securely kepe your passwords backup up, automatically log into web sites, and export the data to an external drive just in case you have another data loss indicent for any reason.