Solved

Third-Party Support Company

• 25 October 2013
  • 4 replies

Yesterday Oct 24, my wife downloaded WIN 8.1. It went through a set-up and finished. Starting up 8.1 right away we got the pop-up message... "unable to start Dolby Advanced Audio driver. Please restart computer or reinstall the driver if the problem persists." We already had the driver in our file, but we thought there might be a newer version. Not knowing what version that might be we called Microsoft. I'm thinking the upgrade came right out off the Microsoft Store. With Tec on phone we tried to reboot, but everytime we got the pop-up message. Guess what a Trojan Horse has taken over our computer. We are dead in the water. I hung up on Microsoft and called Webroot right away. I gave permission for them to look...yup for sure...Webroot tried to go through the files one by one, but it was over the tec's (2) heads. Some how I get transfered to a "Support Buddy", and after 31/2 hours and $139 out our pocket it seems to be fixed. There is a link on the desktop for one month if we need help again.
30 years of being carefull and we get hit. My wife and I think we have been scammed.
Even though this is a long post, I thought a WARNING might be in order. Any semi-expert reply would greatly be appreciated.
New to Post..."northwood".
icon

Best answer by MikeR 25 October 2013, 23:13

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello northwood,

Webroot will never charge you for advanced malware removal or technical assistance. I sincerely apologize for the hardship and financial stress this third-party support company has caused you.

I have listed our legitimate number and support ticket link below and I advise that you use them if you ever experience an issue in the future. Also, you can email me at communitysupport@webroot.com and I may be able to help in some way.

Sales Number: 1-866-612-4268
Support Number: 1-866-612-4227
Support Ticket: https://www.webrootanywhere.com/servicewelcome.asp

Moderator: I edited the post title and created a new thread so that it could be useful to other customers and save them from similar scams.

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I'm sorry to hear northwood but there many scams out there believe me you are not the first one and it's a Billion dollar a year scams that take the unsuspecting users money! It's just like someone calls you and they say that your computer is sending errors messages to Microsoft those are Scams also Microsoft would not call you unless you called them first. :@

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
That's terrible to hear northwood 😞
Userlevel 7
Northwood, 

I am very sorry to hear about your experience.  The sad thing is some companies like that one that charged you, try to present themselves as Webroot support.  Really several of them try to present themselves as representatives of all major AV providers as well as Microsoft and more: they often show up at the top of a Google search as they pay for advertising and top placement.  In my work life I encounter complaints with them often.

Anytime you have problems in the future with Webroot, start here on the Community or the phone number Mike provided.  Either way you will be properly taken good care of!