Solved

Windows 10 not updating. web says disable webroot start windows defender.

• 10 August 2015
  • 8 replies

Windows 10 not updating. Error is (0x800705b4)

Microsoft web says disable webroot and re-start windows defender.

I tried to do this but I could not start Windows Defender.
icon

Best answer by cohbraz 10 August 2015, 19:58

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello.

You are most likely having a hardware driver error. 

If you have not tried yet, run the Microsoft Windows Update Troubleshooter and let's see if that corrects the problem. 

Please let us know!
Update troubleshooter said:

"service registration is missing or corrupt"

After sucessfully running the Windows 10 previews, my graphics when bad, not seing my additional monitor. Upon web advise  I had re-installed an older device driver.

Userlevel 7
Glad to hear you got it resolved! So far, most of the update issues I have seen have been the result of a faulty or outdated driver.
It is not resolved.

With the new "old" driver installed Windows Updater will not work with an error code of (0x800705b4) 

Userlevel 7
Was this Windows 10 install an upgrade from Windows 7 or 8(.1)?  If so, there might be a workaround for this, though it would be a bit time consuming. 

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 as well, and had no problems, but I did note that once the upgrade is installed, you are able to revert back to the previous version of Windows for a period of 30 days.  If you do revert, you can upgrade again any time you want.

So.. here is my admittedly not so good suggestion if all else fails.  Use the revert function.  I have used it twice actually in testing other things, and it the revert takes only a few minutes.  Once back to the previous version of Windows, make sure you have all updates installed, and then uninstall WSA.

Redo the Windows 10 upgrade.  This is the time consuming part as you will likely have to sit through the entire 3 gb+ download again.  Annoying, but it works.  Once fully up and going reinstall WSA.

I do not know if this will fix the issue, but as a last resort it might be worth a try.
Userlevel 7
Oh, I misunderstood. Sorry about that.

Just to make sure we are on the same page, you had to replace your graphics driver with an older version, one that is probably not windows 10 compatible. Is that correct?

What graphics hardware do you have? You may be able to go to the website for that provider and. if they do not have a newer Windows 10 version than the one you had, see if a beta version is available.

One other thing that may relate to your initial issue...
I had a problem with my 3-monitor setup at work when my 3rd monitor would no longer be recognized after I installed the production version of Win 10. I had to completely uninstall the driver, reboot, then reinstall it.
I have an HD4830 which now seems to want the latest drivers which do not support the card. ( no dual monitors) It was working OK in Windows 10 preview.

I installed the old  driver 8.970.100.9001 but then Windows Update did not work with an error code of (0x800705b4) due I am told to the lack of Windows Defender being active due to invalid hardware drivers.

Windows 10 seems to have installed the latest AMD drivers BUT they would not work with my card re dual monitors though they did in the windows 10 preview.

My re-installing of the drivers as you suggested may have helped since I have now re-tried the Windows Update and was told it was a success.

BUT I have had additional problems with lack of response in MAIL and spinning launch of STORE both of which expect to see Windows Defender running.

Does webroot interface to the windows updater as windows defender does?

Userlevel 7
No, Webroot does not interface to the Windows Update function as far as I know.

Defender does to a degree as that is how it receives it definition updates. It does also use the cloud, but still relies on Windows Update to deliver it's definitions. 

EDIT: I just saw this article which may explain the Store and Mail issue you are having. It looks like you need a soon-to-be-released update.