Solved

Remote Desktop Connection failing

• 22 June 2014
  • 7 replies

I have seen similar posts in this forum before, but mine is a bit different.  I use Cisco-VPN on my home computer to connect to a machine at work.  After the VPN connection is established, I click the "remote desktop" icon to make connection.   After the latest scan, this no longer works with the message: "This computer can't connect to remote computer.  Try connecting again.  If the problem continues contact the owner of the remote computer, or your network administrator. "

I also attempted to shut WSA from the console, I checked everything I could find.  I could not find some button or menu which said "turn-off".  In this forum, I noticed a post which states how to do it from the taskbar, but I do not have a WSA icon on my task bar.  (But I have a desktop icon from where I can launch the console... Right clicking it does not offer the option of turning it off.)

One final bit of info: I am running Windows Vista.

Thanks for your help.
icon

Best answer by shorTcircuiT 22 June 2014, 17:18

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
 :D First of all.td2008  Welcome to the WSA Community Forum... If you have patience maybe one of our top members can assist you with this issus you stated here: 

Remote Desktop Connection failing 9m ago
I have seen similar posts in this forum before, but mine is a bit different.  I use Cisco-VPN on my home computer to connect to a machine at work.  After the VPN connection is established, I click the "remote desktop" icon to make connection.   After the latest scan, this no longer works with the message: "This computer can't connect to remote computer.  Try connecting again.  If the problem continues contact the owner of the remote computer, or your network administrator. "

I also attempted to shut WSA from the console, I checked everything I could find.  I could not find some button or menu which said "turn-off".  In this forum, I noticed a post which states how to do it from the taskbar, but I do not have a WSA icon on my task bar.  (But I have a desktop icon from where I can launch the console... Right clicking it does not offer the option of turning it off.)

One final bit of info: I am running Windows Vista.

Thanks for your help.

@ or @  ....or @ can you assist here? Isn't there suppose to be an icon in the taskbar? I was thinking of an uninstall and reinstall what are you advising here?
I will look into this further for you...
Maybe a Submit Trouble Ticket  is advisable here...
Userlevel 7
Hello fd2008 and welcome to the Webroot Community!

My apologies ahead of time for the rambling that is about to begin.... rather a bit to go over, and I am no expert in using the Remote Desktop Connection in Windows.  My personal opinion is that it can be rather a bear to use :)

In order to turn off WSA via your Remote Desktop Connection, you will need to have that machine set to show WSA in the taskbar.  (Of course this may not work if you cannot get the Remote Connection to connect to begin with....)

To shut WSA down you would right click the icon on the taskbar and choose Shut Down Protection, as I believe you have seen mentioned on previous threads.  You may want to go into that machines WSA settings and turn the Taskbar Icon to on.

In the Console, there is no option to shut down protection for a limited time.  You CAN "Deactivate" WSA on a device, but that will uninstall WSA from that device entirely, not simply turn it off for a specified period of time or until the next reboot.  I do not think this is what you are looking to do from your question, and it will require that WSA be fully re-intalled from scratch on the deactivated device.

I am not so sure that WSA is the problem with the remote connection.  As you state "After the latest scan, this no longer works" this indicates that it HAS been working up until now.  Has there been ANY other changes to either computer, the VPN, anything at all that might show why the connection is now 'broken'? 

How long ago did this problem begin?  The most recent update to WSA is version 8.0.4.84 and was released on 6/11/2014.  It DOES sometimes take a few days for a new version to be distributed to all machines, but it is a pretty safe assumption that by 7 days ago your machines were updated. Has anything else been changed, any software updates, network changes, anything over the last week or has it been broken for the last 10 days?

Have you taken a look at the actual settings on the work machine to verify that everything is still set the same as it was in the past, and no software or network changes have been made?

One thing that MIGHT help would be to verify the settings for the remote connection within WSA, on BOTH machines.

Open WSA
Click the 'gear tool' next to PC Security
Click the Quarantine tab.  Make sure none of the required files have been blocked for some reason.
Click the Block/Allow files tab.  Make sure none of the required files are listed here as blocked.  It MIGHT help to add the exectuable files here as Allowed. 

Go back to the Main WSA panel
Click the 'gear tool' next to Identity Protection
Click the Application Protection tab
Check to make sure that the required files are not listed here as blocked.
(This is a very long shot area... this generally deals with software like your browsers to prevent keylogging, phishing attacks, etc etc.  I would not expect problems with a remote desktop connection to result from anything in here.)

Go back to the Main WSA panel
Click the 'gear tool' next to Utilities
Click the System Control tab
In the middle area, in Control Active Processes, click the Start button
Check to make sure that the required files are not set for block in this area.

Firewalls and WSA.  Remember that WSA controls OUTGOING firewall data only.  It is designed to work with Windows Firewall, which controls INBOUND data only.  Check your Windows firewall to make sure that any of the required processes are not being blocked here.  If you use another 3rd party Firewall, check the settings on that as well for both machines.

That is about all I have... and I know it is not much nor likely to find the problem.   Hopefully we are lucky and something above gets it, but if not I see Sherry also "pinged" TripleHelix.  He is one of our main "Windows Guru's" and may have additional suggestions as well.

Please do let me know if any of this was a help though!  While I am no guru on remote connection, I am certainly up to learning more and how to troubleshoot it!

Userlevel 7
I do not think this particular link will be of help, but I have found this reference to a problem.  That post had a particular error code displayed which you do not mention, but I figure it is worth mentioning just in case.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello td2008 and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums!

By any chance are you using the Business- Endpoint solution software? If your not open the GUI from the Desktop Icon and go to this page to make sure "Show a system Tray Icon" and "Allow SecureAnywhere to be shut down manually" and if not put a checkmark in the boxes as I have them all checked and click save then Right Click on the tray Icon to turn off also I would suggest that you Submit a Support Ticket and they can check to see if some files need to be whitelisted or help to get the right settings for you to get it working correctly!

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Thank you for your detailed instructions.  I checked every one of the possible causes you mentioned, but unfortunately it did not help.  I looks like I might have to use my last Windows restore point to get back to a working connection again.  Unfortunately it is not recent enough, so I will have to re-install Webroot afterwards.
No, I am not using Business-Endpoint solution software. I will try the link. Thank you.
Userlevel 7
I would try the Trouble Ticket TH mentioned before going for the Restore Point...   If the problem IS the most recent update of WSA, once you re-install it will merely re-update and rebreak it.

I am sorry I was not of more help, but I DO appreciate your letting me know.  Let us know what Support comes up with on how to fix it!

:)