Webroot apparently missed blue security threat hijack screen. Why?

• 27 April 2016
  • 1 reply

I clicked what seemed like a legitimate story from Facebook and a new window opened with a blue screen announcing a security threat or browser hijack and a number to call a certified Microsoft tech. Why didn't my Webroot pick this up? Luckily my college son told me it was a scam and to just restart computer.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello Cookiemamma.

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

Yes this is a Scam! Your son was quite correct. Neither Microsoft nor any other company sends emails, pop ups, or phone calls of any kind advising that you may have a problem.

Pop-ups often are not the result of malware or virus activity.  Many times they come from what we refer to as PUA's. (Potentially Unwanted Software), or from the web site itself.  WSA blocks bad malicious web sites but it does not contain a pop up blocker at this time.  Pop ups that are from known malicious sites would be blocked.

WSA does detect and remove many PUA's, and more are being added, but WSA does not detect all of them. A simple browser add-on with PUA behavior that is easy to identify and easy to remove is not likely to be detected and removed by WSA. Those that are intentionally difficult to locate and remove are. Please see THIS LINK for more information regarding Webroot's stance on these annoying programs. Here is more information on PUAs

At the end of this PUA article you will see some  good free Ad Blockers for your browser/browsers. (These Ad Blockers will not work for Microsoft Edge browser though).

Hope this helps?