Amazon's stock sinks after website crashes as Prime Day 2018 kicks off

• 17 July 2018
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +63
Published: July 16, 2018 3:30 p.m. ET

Amazon.com Inc.'s AMZN, +0.52% site crashed late Monday afternoon, interrupting the flow of sales during the e-commerce giant's 2018 Prime Day. At 3.10 p.m. Eastern, the site was showing a message accompanied by an image of a dog saying: "Sorry, something went wrong on our end," directing users to try to go back to the home page. That resulted in another similar message with a different image of a dog. MarketWatch has reached out to Amazon for comment. The stock took a hit since Prime Day kicked off at 3 p.m. The stock was up 0.2% in afternoon trade, and hit a fresh intraday low of $1,814.45, after being up 1.1% just before the kick off. The stock was still on track for an eighth-straight gain, and fourth-straight record close. It has not gained 55% year to date, while the S&P 500 SPX, -0.10% has tacked on 4.6%.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/amazon-website-crashes-as-prime-day-2018-kicks-off-2018-07-16

1 reply

I tried buying a few things yesterday around 3pm CDT. The site was a mess. I had trouble accessing my cart and when I finally was able to, the items I had added were gone. So I said the hell with it. Not anything I couldn't live without.