Automatic updating of Android apps becomes riskier

• 12 June 2014
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Author/ Zeljka Zorz HNS Managing Editor / Posted on 12 June 2014.

Summary/ Google has made unwelcome changes to the way new app permissions are disclosed to users: no warnings will be shown if a new permission if is in the same category as an old one that has previously been accepted.

The change has been introduced with the recently released new version of the Play store app, and has apparently made to streamline the installing of updates and to avoid confusing users.

Help Net Security/ Full Read Here/ http://www.net-security.org/secworld.php?id=17000

2 replies

Userlevel 7
This is one reason I turn auto-updates OFF on my Android devices.  Fortunately, WSA Mobile Premier and WSA-Complete have the ability to check your apps for persmissions that may be deemed excessive or unsafe.

Another reason is simply that what happens if an existing app is sold to a new owner/developer, and that new dev has mal-intentions?

For my Androids, we turn off the automatic updates.
Every update has the permissions list scrutinized prior to install.
We use a package backup app.  It keeps a backup of the last 5 versions (Though I can set it for any number) of an app, so that in the event a bad update does come through we can easily roll back to the previous version.

Remember to NEVER install apps from outside of Google Play unless you are VERY certain it will be safe.  Thankfully, WSA Mobile will warn you if you do not have 3rd party apps blocked from installing.

Great post @ !

Userlevel 7
thank you David.....your expertise comments are welcomed and appreciated.