Blue Screen windows 10061

• 24 April 2015
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 6
Blue screens for windows 10.    Version 10061

What works:     The windows Splash screen that you have to flip up,  Putting in your windows 10 password.
What doesn't: Everything else.

I did a complete refresh earlier before I figured it out... I thought the update just derped as per usual... 
I just did the keep files refresh.

The fix:  Uninstall webroot.

1. Reboot
  2. Usually it's f8 for safe mode... but for some reason windows 10 wasn't wanting to do it so spam all the buttons!!111
  3. click troubleshoot
  4. Advanced options    
  5. Start up settings
  6.  Click "5"  for the safe mode with networking

Ok, so now that you are in, I'm sure you figured out by now that the "start" button doesn't work...   Not sure if that's intentional or what...   (that's going in as a bug report for windows feedback)

So now we have to do everything via the task manager

1. Press Cntrl+shift+delete  to quickly bring it up
  2. click file -> run new task
  3. type in  "cmd"      
  4. enter these commands.
  • REG ADD “HKLMSYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlSafeBootMinimalMSIServer” /VE /T REG_SZ /F /D “Service” 
  • REG ADD “HKLMSYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlSafeBootNetworkMSIServer” /VE /T REG_SZ /F /D “Service”
  • net start msiserver

The first command allows MSI Server to work during "Safe mode with no networking"
The Second command allows MSI Server to work during "Safe mode with networking"
The Third command starts up the  MSIServer...    Without MSI Server you will be unable to uninstall webroot.

On to the next phase.   By now i'm sure you have figured out that you are unable to access your settings and get to add remove

1. Go back to the task manager
  2. File -> new task
  3. "appwiz.cpl"
  4. click webroot
  5. uninstall.

Reboot,  ( I'm sure you reached for the start bar to turn restart.)
  1. go back to the task manager
  2. file -> new task 
  3. "cmd"
  4. Type in   "shutdown -r"   to reboot

While we're on the subject of windows...  I hate hiberboot because I dual boot.  Nothing more annoying than the hiberboot mess.

OPTIONAL:  turn off hiberbootto disable 
  1. Use task manager
  2. file -> new task
  3. "regedit"  hit enter
  4. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMControlSet001ControlSession ManagerPower
  5. double click on  HiberbootEnabled    and change the value to a 0   (please enter the number ZERO)
(if you want to read in detail and don't feel comfortable with the quick instructions)
http://www.trishtech.com/2013/07/how-to-disable-hiberboot-in-windows-8/

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
This has not been released via the Microsoft Update within Win 10 preview so the files will need Whitelisting for this Build. I'm still on Build 10049 and all is fine!

Daniel

@  EDIT: I see there is an update to 10061 so I will install both 32bit & 64bit and Contact support to get the files whitelisted!

Thanks again,

Daniel :D

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Also note Win 10 Preview is not Officially supported by Webroot until it's release sometime this year!

Thanks,

Daniel 😉